Making Shapes Without Cutters

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 6:44pm by Cathy26

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, so i have bought soooo much stuff recently to start my business, flower cutters, hearts, stars, spots, tools, smoother, etc but i always seem to need more!

I was just wondering if you all use cutters for everything or do you cut a paper template and cut out by hand? I need two big hearts, bigger than i have cutters for and wanted to know how the best way is to go about this - should i make a paper template? Will i get smooth edges and what should i use to cut it. This also goes for big numbers like say, an 18 or 1, etc where the customer wants it to be a big feature of the cake - should i use a template or just invest in big cookie cutters?

Also any tips for smooth edges would be appreciated!

4 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 5

If it's just once or twice I'd cut it be hand. There is a "how to" article here somewhere about making your own cookie cutters. I tried it recently and it worked great!

babybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybelle Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 5

As far as making the edges smooth, I lay the gumpaste or fondant on top of the cutter and roll it like that. I always get smotth edges this way.

HTH

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 5

here ya go! If you only need a couple, just cut a template.......but if you need more or you want to cut fondant to cover then definitely make a cutter a heart shape is sooooooo simple to make

http://www.cakecentral.com/article73-How-To-Make-Your-Own-Cookie-Cutters.html

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so very much for that link!!!! im off to the hardware store asap, this saves me so much money as ive been dying to make baby shower and cake shaped cookies but didnt want any more outlays at the minute!! thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%