Defrosting Fondant.

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 5:53pm by Parable

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:55am
post #1 of 10

I froze my white chocolate fondant, and am wondering what the best way is to thaw it out. I'm guessing fridge over countertop for safety concerns, but how long does it need to thaw? And how long will it keep after that?

Thanks for your help!

9 replies
sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:13am
post #2 of 10

Can you freeze fondant? I thought it messed the consistency up? Can't wait to hear what the pro's have to say!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:31am
post #3 of 10

Anyone? icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 10

Hmmmm, never froze fondnat before. I think I would thaw slowly...maybe in frig over the course of a few days. Then bring it out.

Not sure though....

Jen icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:19am
post #5 of 10

I was sure I'd read somewhere that I was allowed to freeze fondant for later use ... ha! It would be just like me to have read it the other way around ... please, somebody tell me I didn't ruin all my batch of fondant!

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:42am
post #6 of 10

I've frozen my left over fondant before. It works great. thumbs_up.gif First I wrap the fondant in plastic wrap, then I wrap it in foil, and finally I put it into a zip lock bag.
When I want to defrost it, I leave all the wrapping on and set it on the counter to thaw. I don't unwrap it until it's completely defrosted. I've never had any problems, and it still feels the same way it did before it was frozen.
HTH icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 10

Yay, good good good! Thanks! So, how long should I expect it to take for the stuff to be completely thawed?

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 10

I froze extra fondant I had left over from another cake job. I pulled it out two days before I needed to use it and put it in the fridge to defrost. Then I moved it to the counter for the last 8 hours before use. I found it actually worked better than if I let it rest overnight. It was more pliable and didn't rip or crack. Good luck!

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 10

I froze extra fondant I had left over from another cake job. I pulled it out two days before I needed to use it and put it in the fridge to defrost. Then I moved it to the counter for the last 8 hours before use. I found it actually worked better than if I let it rest overnight. It was more pliable and didn't rip or crack. Good luck!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 10

My fondant thaws out on the counter in about an hour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%