Turned My Heater On And Now Icing Cracking?

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 8:04am by sugarshack

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 9

does turning on my heater have anything to do with my icing cracking. I use to have this problem and found out how to fix it (at least a way that worked for me) and then today I noticed the icing getting little hairline cracks on a wedding cake and the only thing that I can think of is that I kicked on my heater for the first time this season yesterday. Could this have something to do with it and what should I do to fix it? other then cutting off the heat and freezing to death haha thanks guys

8 replies
cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 9

I am no expert but it seems that in the winter (when the heat is on) my BC seems to crack. I am not sure if it is the heat drying the BC out or not. The only solution I could come up with is to add a little more liquid. I hope someone else comes along and offers more advice.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 9

You both need to add a bit more fat (butter or Crisco) toyour recipe - especially in winter.
Most likely the heat is drying it out. You really don't want to thin the icing w/more liquid but make it creamier.

tdybear1978 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 9

I have had some suggestions of adding some vinegar or maybe even some corn syrup, would this help and what does it do that helps? just curious

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:02am
post #5 of 9

yes the heater can do it

try more fat, and a little vinegar or corn syrup

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:28am
post #6 of 9

When you folks say "heater" ... do you mean the one in your car? Or are you talking about the furnace in your house? icon_confused.gif

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:58am
post #7 of 9

I'm betting it's the heat in the house they are discussing. I noticed I had an issue with cracking if I let a cake sit overnight not in the fridge but boxed.

tdybear1978 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:44am
post #8 of 9

yes, it is the heater in my bakery. when you say add some vinegar or corn syrup, how much should I add and what is it doing to the icing that helps it? I am just curious

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:04am
post #9 of 9

i use 2-3 tsp in my 5 quart batch of vinegar

never did corn syrup

but if heater is drying air a lot even the vinegar wont help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%