Glittery Icing?

Decorating By pinkpiggie78 Updated 11 Dec 2008 , 1:51am by pinkpiggie78

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 14

I am making a cake for a sweet 16 party and I was wondering how I could get the BC to have a slight shimmer or glitter all over the cake. Is there anything I can mix into the icing or sprinkle all over the cake? I don't have an airbrush, and I wanted something finer than cake sparkles/sprinkles. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

13 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 14

I love the Pixie Dusts from these folks http://www.europeancakegallery.us/pixiedust.html

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 14

For a glitter effect it's Disco Dust all the way!!! It's not considered edible, but it's non-toxic as well, and I use it all the time. I get it at my cake supply store.

For a slight shimmer I'd use a pearl dust. It actually has a bit of glittery effect also.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 14

I second Disoc glitter, no cake leaves me without it!

pinkpiggie78 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 14

Can you mix these in with the icing or does it have to be painted on?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 14

The disco dust just gets "sprinkled" on......I usually stick the tip of an artist brush into the dust and just "tap" the brush near the area where I want it...........if some sticks to my hand or what ever, I just blow across it towards the cake.... I LOVE THIS STUFF !! You can get it in colors, or I usually just get the RAINBOW, and it goes with everything.......I get mine at Global Sugar Art.......

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 14

Disco dust sounds like something I would go crazy with...but Im a bit concerend with the non edible part- is that a mere technicality like the dragees issue or is it really not safe to eat?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 14

Monkess re your ? above:
It is finely curshed plastic from all I have foound about it. It's up to you if you waht to use it or not.
You can use edible (cake) glitter but put it in a small container and crush it w/a spoon or the handle of your spatula. Then I put it in a small salt shaker (w/small holes). Works so well icon_smile.gif

.......if some sticks to my hand or what ever, I just blow across it towards the cake.....

I remember yrs ago visiting another decorater @ her shop. Something needed to be brushed off - don't even remember now what/why - & when I blew it she got all over me because it your breath 1) has germs & 2) is moist so it actually seals what you were trying to clean off. I have never blown on a cake since! Always use the ab (Or invest in a cheap, simple rubber bulb type puffer.)

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 14

Monkess.....I don't worry about the "non edible" part....the tiny amount you would get by ingesting it is so incredibly minute, and I can tell you, it comes out like it goes in........I know, I know!!! TMI!!! Found this out when my daughter excitedly told me she had glittery poo.......sorry! What I'm getting at is it doesn't break down in your body. It is also sold in cake decorating supply stores so they know it's going to be used on food items, just has the "non edible" part on the label most likely for liability reasons. I think I'd worry more about using dragees than Disco Dust anyday.....but I use dragees too!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:42am
post #10 of 14

Ok! I'm getting in on this conversation! icon_lol.gif How does pixie dust differ from disco dust differ from luster dust??

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:50am
post #11 of 14

Pixie dusts, disco dust, etc are all the same. Different companies just use different names for their products.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:02am
post #12 of 14

Sorry, forgot you also asked about luster dust. Luster dust adds a satiny sheen, while the disco dusts add an very intense fine glittery sparkle.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:38am
post #13 of 14

Thanks so much classiccake!!! I appreciate it! icon_lol.gif

pinkpiggie78 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 1:51am
post #14 of 14

Thanks for the info. I had heard of both the pixie and disco dusts before, but thought someone might have found a newer product. Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%