post #1 of 31

is called to order.
Who's up?
Whatcha working on?

30 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:01am
post #2 of 31

I have the night off, actually. I have cookies in a weekend gift shop, so I've been making tons of the choco covered "chocolate sandwich cookies" (you know what I mean.) But no weddings this weekend or next.

But I couldn't not convene the FNCC!

Anybody got a crisis that needs fixing? There's always a bunch of talent on here late at night.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:04am
post #3 of 31

I don't have any weddings this weekend. I had some little cakes but I already finished them. I am just going to chill and maybe get some rest!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:09am
post #4 of 31

I'm about to make some petit fours using Kathy Scott's molds. Love the molds and cutters, but don't love when there's too much chocolate around the cake. This is more of a problem when I'm using white chocolate and trying to keep the cake from showing through on the sides. Anybody with helpful hints?

leah_s Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:09am
post #5 of 31

This time of year, the weddings are not so numerous. I've only got three weddings the entire month. Doing quite a few consultations for next year, though.

leah_s Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:24am
post #6 of 31

Since it doesn't look like anyone else is checking in, I think I'll bug off too.

Where's Pink, Kory and Molly? Got the night off?

Neicey76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neicey76 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:26am
post #7 of 31

Just finished baking 3 cakes for tomorrow and I am about to go pass out. I've been dealing with some issues with my son that has left me drained.

mndy204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mndy204 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:01am
post #8 of 31

I'm finally working on a cake on a Friday night and I don't have anything to say about it. icon_redface.gif It's a soccer ball themed birthday so I made Michele Foster's fondant for the first time and LOVE it and am covering a soccerball with it and making cupcakes.

My FIRST Friday Night Cake Club and no one has anything going on. icon_cry.gificon_razz.gif

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:03am
post #9 of 31

Are you guys still there?? I have a ? about the avatars

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:24am
post #10 of 31

Working on a dragon for my sci-fi cake for next week. The scales are taking forever!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:27am
post #11 of 31

oh hey! I have four cakes I am tackling. Unfortunately it has a a LONG week and I am pooped! Having a hard time staying motivated. I am glad to see that everyone is doing well!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:35am
post #12 of 31

I "wave" I'm here too!! I'm working on the dreaded oval tiered wedding cake for the 'whiney' bride!! I know - I'm going to he**!! But she really is whiney - "She rrreeaaalllyyy likes odd numbers so she rrreeeaaallly wants 5 tiers" - although 4 were going to be plenty of cake!!! Oh well - yes thank you I will take your money while you dish out cake to all your relatives!!

I too have had a week of issues from a cold, to DH blood pressure being sky high, to a really, really fun wedding/reception last weekend, plus I'm in the Church handbell choir and we are playing the handbells for the wedding AND at Church on Sunday!! My plate is full and my body is tired! I'll be here most of the night and up way early in the morning.

I'll check back in a bit!!

Suze

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:35am
post #13 of 31

Galler...Yep. I know all about those scales. Scales are NOT my friends. Good Luck! I'll check back in after about 30 or so. I needed a break from those poopin bows!

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:38am
post #14 of 31

OK I am so over the scales for the dragon. I am going to bed it is 1:38am here in Virginia!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:40am
post #15 of 31

I'm here. I only have 1 wedding cake this weekend and about 12 birthday/shower cakes - nothing too exciting this weekend

Suzycakes Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:17am
post #16 of 31

tdybear - I still don't know how you do it!! Your numbers just boggle my mind!

I just had to take a break - back to the smoothing!!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:07am
post #17 of 31

Whew...done with bows, making BC and frosting one. Only three more cakes to go!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:21am
post #18 of 31

I'm doing the cherry blossom cake. 4 tiers. my 8" blew up on me. Had to re-do it. Yuck! Should have been in bed hours ago, but I just finished paiinting all the stupid blossoms. Can't wait to put it together tomorrow. Just hope the baby is good!!!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:45am
post #19 of 31

bowling pion RKT with 2 bowling balls.... yikes its 445am!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:49am
post #20 of 31

It's gonna be a LONG day tomorrow.

tdybear1978 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 11:39am
post #21 of 31

yep I am still here myself, going on 24 hours straight up here in this place. Did not seem like I had too many cakes this weekend but they all too so long to do icon_sad.gif hopefully I will get some sleep tonight

Suzycakes Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:25pm
post #22 of 31

I'm back up - got about 3 hours sleep - one more smooth around and hopefully that will finish the layers off. Maybe its the lack of sleep and mental ability - but I think I'm going to try to stack the 2 bottom tiers and the top 3 tiers and travel with them to location. That way I can put the border on that goes on layers #2 and #4 and finish up quicker on delivery. Leahs are you with me?? I am using SPS!!!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:56pm
post #23 of 31

Hola all! I hope everyone survived! I crashed and burned at about 5:15 or so. I wasn't seeing straight and was doing wierd things!

leah_s Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:25pm
post #24 of 31

Suzycakes you will be fine with the SPS. Although I don't know that I could lift three tiers to palce them on top of the bottom two . . . I'd probably take 2/2/1

tdybear1978 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:09pm
post #25 of 31

well, I am just about to finish the last cake and then have to make a veggie tray and 75 sandwiches, I think there is a little glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel that I am seeing. That or I am just about to pass out icon_smile.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:11pm
post #26 of 31

I do have a ?? for you guys - I noticed my wedding cake icing is cracking a bit when I move it - like those little hairline cracks. I use to have a problem with this and think that I fixed it and I am wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I turned my heater on for the first time yesterday also. Could this have caused it and if so what should I do to try and fix it? thanks

leah_s Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:22pm
post #27 of 31

If it's a crusting icing, that's pretty normal. The heater may be accelerating thte drying/crusting. Other than using a heavy duty board underneath, I think it's characteristic of the icing.

tdybear1978 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:24pm
post #28 of 31

well, I am using a wedding drum to hold the cakes (which is the strongest I can find around here) I just really don't like seeing it haha it bothers me

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:25pm
post #29 of 31

Definitely a heavy board--like 3/4" plywood--will help a lot. Adding several drops of white vinegar when making the icing also helps.

tdybear1978 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:31pm
post #30 of 31

I heard the vinegar thing before, what does that do for it? also, I have heard corn syrup?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%