Phone Call Kinda Irritated Me Today

Business By karateka Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 9:41pm by LanaC

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:17am
post #31 of 47

I wouldn't even take the time to give any excuses. I would just say it is too late of a notice.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 4:54am
post #32 of 47

Seriously, those who feel that she should've done the cake, would you really feel comfortable allowing someone to "put the finishing touches" on a cake you started?

You have no idea what it's going to end up looking like and you're willing to put your name on it? I don't understand that...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:07am
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Seriously, those who feel that she should've done the cake, would you really feel comfortable allowing someone to "put the finishing touches" on a cake you started?

You have no idea what it's going to end up looking like and you're willing to put your name on it? I don't understand that...

Some cakes reward our ego--and I mean that in a positive way. Some cakes reward our bank account. In a perfect world we should get both rewards on every cake.

However this potential cake prder (to the op) is about money, not ego. I mean the guy is gonna finish it so I'm sure he will be happy to tell people it is his creation.

If he messes it up unbearably then no one will believe that I made any of it. icon_biggrin.gif

So this potential order is about confidence. I would be confident enough to do it if I could be sure I knew exactly what he wanted. He can have the glory. There's room for everyone.

Tita9499 Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:18am
post #34 of 47

I can see your point of view. I guess my "Type A" personality wouldn't allow that for me personally. I have to know exactly what my name is attached to, because I'm almost positive that someone like this person would be sure to let everyone know it was me who did the cake if it received bad reviews, wether they believe it or not is on them. And just like you said, he most certainly would take all the credit for the good ones.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:12pm
post #35 of 47

I'm curios:
How can anyone "design" a cake, but not bake it? Not all recipes of the cakes can stand the designs.
What if the "head" of the penguin was heavier than the "body", and the cake cracked? Or vice versa?
A while back someone asked a quote for a 3 tier fondant covered cake, and after I gave them my price, the lady asked me if she baked the cake, could I decorated with fondant. And I said no, bacuase I didn't know how she baked and what if her cake couldn't stand the weight of my fondant? I wasn't just that she was could be taking my compliments, she could blame me for a disaster.

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:24pm
post #36 of 47

Karateka.....what did you end up doing?

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 1:13am
post #37 of 47

Sorry I haven't responded....I keep forgetting that the email notification is down, and I've just forgotten to check back. icon_redface.gif

I listened calmly to his spiel. I clarified that he wanted this TOMORROW. Then I told him I needed more notice. He gave me a half sigh, half huff like "Geez, she's obviously not a professional" and hung up.

I was irritated not because I'm a diva. He was so brusque and cocky sounding, and talked to me like I was an underling in his kitchen. And I have to admit, this calling me and expecting it tomorrow.....is it because I'm a home baker that he assumes I've got nothing else to do?

And really....I am a CUSTOM cake shop. I can see sculpting a penguin cake for someone, but not baking part of it and letting somebody else mess with it. His whole tone was arrogant and condescending and he really irritated the fire out of me.

I'm aware that this will never pay the mortgage on my house. Basically I earn enough each year to pay for my trip to OSSAS. So I don't need to put up with people who treat me like that. And I won't. I spent years in college to do something I loved, and now that I have to do it to pay the bills, I don't enjoy it anymore. I don't want to make that mistake with cakes.

So no cake for him!

Tita9499 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 1:49am
post #38 of 47

You go girl!

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 1:53am
post #39 of 47

Good for you karateka!!

I too spent time getting the job I have to now hate what I do to "pay the bills".

I do cakes because I enjoy doing them and I love to make someone happy with a cake! I also know that I will more than likely never "pay my bills" completely with cakes so I will be choosey when it comes to jerks and divas like this guy obviously was. I had one recently that just about did me the same way. It was one of the "friend of a friend" situations.

Long story short.. a co-worker's dghtr was having a baby shower but the co-worker's friend was throwing the shower. The mom to be wanted me to do the cake even picked it out the design she wanted. this "friend" wanted my price then wanted to price check with her "cake lady" to see what the difference was. I explained to her that I would need confirmation two weeks prior to make the cake. Well she "assumed" that since I was a friend of the g-ma to be that I would make concessions to her calling me a few days before. I gracefully declined to her dismay and disgust. Needless to say, she had a very disappointed mom-to-be when she found out that I was not making the cake. I did explained the situation to the mom-to-be and g-ma to be and both understood totally and were not upset with me at all.

Oh well. Just b-cuz we are "home kitchen" bakers does not mean "not busy".

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:36am
post #40 of 47

Way to go girl!! I am so glad that you didn't do it...ecspecially because of the way he treated you.

I see that being a real nightmare if you had gone through with it. He would have been so rude and disrespectful.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:17pm
post #41 of 47

I would definately think it odd- not that he wanted you to bake half the cake- the black part and the sweater part- did he want you to decorate that part?

It kinda seems to me- like maybe he's been watching a whole lotta duff- He said he's a cake designer (not baker). I bet he was making a styrofoam HEAD for the penguin and intended to put that into your cake. Even if he was a decorator that got others to bake his cake- It seems to me that he would not let you ice half of it. I bet he's watched a whole lot of TV and said "I can do that" just because he can carve a piece of styro . People are amazed if the cake is 3/d -even if it is half styrofoam- so he probably gets or will get a lot of business from it!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:31pm
post #42 of 47

I think a lot depends on the situation and you ABSOLUTELY did the right thing given these circumstances. I think it's one thing if you know the person and they call you up in a panic because something happened.

Last year on the day of our daughter's birthday party, two structures of my parent's family business burnt to the ground. That was the day I had set aside to make a Dora cake for our daughter. Not a fancy cake by any stretch... Well, the buildings weren't the only thing that managed to burn that day, for the first time in YEARS I managed to burn DD's birthday cake... It was black crisp on the outside, raw in the center, and baked at 325 in our oven that hundreds of cakes have come out perfectly with, I have NO CLUE how that happened... I literally went to the grocery store in a panic, confessed my inadequacy to the poor gals working the bakery counter, walked out with $34 in strawberry shortcake cake and a Dora Edible Image that I just simply had to finish on my own in the remaining hour before the party. The thing is, I about had the girls in stitches laughing so I could get them to sell me what I wanted (they only sell that cake by the slice, so getting them to lob off a quarter-sheet's worth from the frozen sheet box was a challenge)... OTOH, I probably could have called up several friends up here and had a cake to get the job done in the remaining time I had given the circumstances.

BUT, this situation posted sounds like one of WTF??? and the guy probably would have canceled the order after you quoted them the PITA fee price... OTOH, a true "cake designer" would be like "here's an extra $$ for the short notice!!!"...

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:31am
post #43 of 47

I often wonder if the posters coming here bitching about there 'difficult' customers ever think that those same customers might come to this site and read all the nasty things people are saying about them?? How would you feel if you were the recipient of the blogging attack

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:56am
post #44 of 47

Unlikely that they would even know of this site. I don't think any of us are trying to be mean we just need to vent to our friends when we have a bad day.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:09am
post #45 of 47

Run Forest Run!!

Tita9499 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 9:11pm
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy

I often wonder if the posters coming here bitching about there 'difficult' customers ever think that those same customers might come to this site and read all the nasty things people are saying about them?? How would you feel if you were the recipient of the blogging attack

Trust me, I think they know they're going to get talked about when they come up with stuff like that. Shoot, I think they talk about themselves sometimes.

But honestly, I don't think the OP is trying to be malicious, I think it's a way for us to vent to others who understand the frustration of people who think we're cake genies.

Don't you think the caller called his friends complaining about the "cake lady" who wouldn't do "my half decorated peguin thingy"? Alls fair in love and cake decorating.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 9:41pm
post #47 of 47

Sometimes if a customer is being "odd", they need to hear they're being odd - even if they hear it in an offhanded way about some unmentioned person in an unmentioned town on a message board.

I agree with most others though, if he's a professional, he should know that he is asking something unreasonable. Put all "it's my cake" attitude aside, he asked for an overnight turnaround on a carved cake partially decorated with black. Black is a stinker and as a professional, he should know this. Plus, what if the black of the body and the black of the head didn't match? And to then put the penguin in a sweater? That's a healthy amount of weave to put on there in just an evening (assuming you wanted to work all night on someone else's project).

For me, it's not so much a matter of attitude as it is a matter of logistics. His failure to plan would not constitute my emergency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%