Phone Call Kinda Irritated Me Today

Business By karateka Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 9:41pm by LanaC

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:15am
post #1 of 47

I get a call from a guy today. He gets on the phone and tells me that he usually deals with Bonnie Lynn Bakery but they don't seem to want to work with him on this.

I say ok.....he goes on:

"I design cakes for a living. My DD is having a birthday party and I need a 12in diameter 6in tall dome cake, half black, half piped like a sweater. I'm going to sculpt a penguin head and (other parts I don't remember precisely) and stick it into the cake. And I need this for tomorrow, since I need time before the party Sunday to do my part"

I'm thinking....

Ok, you tool.....you call me and expect this by tomorrow. (mind you, he called after noon)

Why call a custom cake shop and ask them to make PART of a custom cake??? RU Kidding me? Who would agree to that?

So would this annoy anybody else? Or am I just bitchy today?

46 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:47am
post #2 of 47

Well, after I could stop laughing out loud, I'd ask him if he was really serious, that he wanted me to "slap a cake together" for him in this short of a time span? If he's a "cake designer" then he KNOWS what's involved.

I had one where the guy wanted a carved car cake ... by this afternoon!!! I said, "Do you know how many DAYS it takes to make a cake like that?" then referred him to the most expensive bakery in town. He said, in a little forlorn voice, that he'd already called them they said they needed more notice.

DUH!!!! icon_eek.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:49am
post #3 of 47

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif HA HA HA! This is funny. HE DESIGNS CAKES FOR A LIVING....I highly doubt this otherwise he would have given advance notice. He should have known better being in the field and all icon_rolleyes.gif

You were run from this one.

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:54am
post #4 of 47

I wouldn't!

This is not going to help your business in any way. He will probably go back to using his other baker, or will continue to make them himself.

Also, if the guests like the cake...he will take all of the credit. Not to mention, the guy needs to learn how to bake his own cakes.

I don't mean to have such a bad attitude...and normally I am all for helping someone in need. However, if he took at attitude with you..and is trying to boss you around...not cool!

Keep us updated.....

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:03am
post #5 of 47

I'd tell him if he designs cakes for a living and can produce a sculpted cake with less than a days notice then you'd like to have HIS number in case you're ever in a bind!! LOL Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:19am
post #6 of 47

You remember that old commercial with the line, "I'm not a doctor, I just play one of TV"? Yeah, this guy isn't a cake designer he's "just watched them on TV."

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:32am
post #7 of 47

Bwaaaahahahaha. Maybe he's this guy. icon_lol.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:16am
post #8 of 47

I would've gave him an icing recipe, and told good luck. LOLOL

Mike

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 47

Wow, everyone is so negative!

If I could fit it into my schedule, I would do it - but I would charge an additional 10% rush charge.

An order is an order is an order. And unless I ever become as good as Sylvia Wynstock (sp?), I'm not going to pick and choose orders that are "worthy" of me. It just seems petty to me.

harlemcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harlemcakelady Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 47

Hi. You did the right thing. Go with your gut. I had a woman who called me about a cake giving me one week's notice during one of my busiest two weeks. She wanted me to design a 3 tier cake for her with a moroccan theme such as mosaic tile, persian carpet, etc.

I agreed to do it. Except I received about 50 emails back and forth about changing the cake design as well as asking me pricing on all different other cake designs. I finally told her that it would be in both of our best interests if she found someone else. Not to mention she said her budget was $500 but when I quoted her a special price of $275 she said it was too much.

Sometimes it's better to lose one customer than to gain a headache at delivery when she finds something wrong with it and then wants her money back.

The beauty of having your own business is that yes you can pick and choose who you will make a cake for and how much you are willing to take.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 47

think i would skip his cake, after all if he does it then why couldn't he bake his own cakes?

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 47

Gee....I would be happy to drop everything and put this cake together for you.........NOT!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 47

You betcha I pick and choose. I've cut two brides loose in 2008 and already one for 2009 for being unreasonable PITAs. (One was actually a nice bride and a groomzilla.) That's why I own my own business. I get to make the decisions on when and how much I will work. And who my customers will be.

OhMyGanache Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

You betcha I pick and choose. I've cut two brides loose in 2008 and already one for 2009 for being unreasonable PITAs. (One was actually a nice bride and a groomzilla.) That's why I own my own business. I get to make the decisions on when and how much I will work. And who my customers will be.

I can understand if you have a very difficult customer - however in this situation (and so many others I read about on here), someone simply made an inquiry... I don't see the problem.

It just seems to me that many decorators develop a diva attitude and start thinking too many things are beneath them and HOW DARE anyone even make such RIDICULOUS requests?!?

Granted, I get more customers because there are several decorators in my area with similar attitudes. And they are far more grateful after hearing several "nos".

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:04pm
post #15 of 47

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole! Unreal!

Jen icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:11pm
post #16 of 47

I don't know. Trying to do half a sculpture might get a little dicey. I mean which half gets the sweather and which half gets the black. And my 6 inch tall dome cake might not work with his penguin.

A 12 inch cake is kinda big for just a 6 inch dome. I mean you're gonna need to cut off a lot to get it to dome. What'sa dome? I mean I know what it means to me wonder if that's what he means.

For a rush order that's going to be created into something else there's too many variables. I mean maybe he could fax you some drawings or something but that would be hard to make.

If each of us in this tread made that cake with those instructions not two would be alike.

That would be real hard. I'd consider it if I could get all my doubts satisfied--but then so last minute too. Charge an extra fee if I had the time.

But there's a reason the other bakery isn't working with him on this!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:23pm
post #17 of 47

First red flag I saw was that his "regular baker" needed more notice and to call someone else .....if they already turned him down he's probably a PITA to them and it's not worth their time and effort to do the work for him.

Second red flag....how many of you on CC are decorators and have a "regular bakery" do work for you?

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:51pm
post #18 of 47

The whole thing I find strange is getting someone else to bake it for him. icon_confused.gif That sounds a little strange.

I wouldn't do this because I make decorated cakes to sell. I am not a wholesale bakery plugging out blank cake for others. My cake is MY cake - not someone elses to recreate.

If he truly is a decorator icon_rolleyes.gif he needs to learn to bake his own!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:08pm
post #19 of 47

He called you the da before, if you don't want to or have the time then let it go. If he's in the business then he should know better.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #20 of 47

I would refuse it for three reasons. 1- We refuse to make black buttercream for anything other than minor piping. That much food color is just gross. 2- "We" are the cake designers here. I only work with people who give us final say so over the design so we don't make ugly cakes that go in my signature boxes. There are certain cakes I just don't want our name on. 3- Time constraints...Dude, it's Christmas, we're busy with the orders from people who had their crap together weeks ago.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:45pm
post #21 of 47

I don't think this is a matter of being a "diva"...this dude sounds very egotistical and is either flat out lying about being a cake designer, or he is so proud of himself that he is beneath doing his own baking. I don't buy the "cake designer" story, myself. If he were truly a "cake designer" he would not want to trust his sculpture to someone else and PAY them for it besides! There's gotta be something else to the story he is not saying.

No matter what, its weird, and I do not accept last minute orders anyway. I have a way my week works out...when I bake, when I ice and crumb coat, and when I decorate....so basically if I don't have my orders set up by the Saturday before I start baking (so a week ahead) I won't accept the order. And sometimes I don't even accept a "week before" order if it requires extra 3D planning and fondantwork.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:51pm
post #22 of 47

Polekitten, I don't really think they are being negative or divas as much as,... we've been burned so many times by customers like this who have "proven out" to be impossible to please. The nice thing about this business is, we can choose to work with nice people, or not....

cohenandlillysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohenandlillysmom Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:10pm
post #23 of 47

People like this crack me up! First, Any one want to bake my cakes for me?!?!? I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to only decorate my cakes! I dont enjoy baking or frosting, my passion is decorating, but I still have to do the other parts. Its what makes my business worth having. Maybe I should consider going to the other cake shop in town and get cakes to decorate! LOL.

Second, most of us own CUSTOM cake shops. With all of the Walmarts, Publix, and Martins out there people are used to getting what they want when they want. A friend of mine had a customer come into her shop and became irate because she didnt have cakes just sitting out for people to purchase. When she explained to him her process, he told her if thats how she wants to run her business then she isnt going to make any $$ and stormed out!
We are ARTISTS! And will all the media attention of fellow cake Artists people should be starting to realize we cant just produce cakes with such sort notice. Im not sure "they" will ever really get it.

Long Live the Cake Artists.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:16pm
post #24 of 47

It would annoy me, yes. If I could fit it in, I would. Sounds like the penguin is going to be laying down ...pretty simple. He would definitely be charged an additional fee ...I hate it for him but it would have to be paid for in advance too...if he agreed to the price and the pre-payment, np...if not, he can either do it himself or on to the next baker/decorator. I'd probably be ranting to myself or YA'LL during it all though.

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:27pm
post #25 of 47

sounds to me like he tried to make it himself and failed, or took on more than he could handle and felt like he had no choice but to outsource... maybe this unreasonable request was really a cry for help.

IMHO. of course

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:06pm
post #26 of 47

Whatever happened with this? I would love the update...

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:17pm
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleKitten

If I could fit it into my schedule, I would do it - but I would charge an additional 10% rush charge.

An order is an order is an order. And unless I ever become as good as Sylvia Wynstock (sp?), I'm not going to pick and choose orders that are "worthy" of me. It just seems petty to me.

Well, tell us oh wise one, with the info given what would you charge? What part of the cake are yopu doing? Is the customer a "designer", and not a "doer". Please enlighten me on how you would carry this out with the info that is given.

Mike

lisad1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisad1 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:40pm
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:

Well, tell us oh wise one, with the info given what would you charge? What part of the cake are yopu doing? Is the customer a "designer", and not a "doer". Please enlighten me on how you would carry this out with the info that is given.

Mike

Wow, that's a little brutal... 'oh wise one'... Just because someone has a more relaxed opinion then you, doesn't make them stupid!

The original poster would have to figure out a cost if she was willing to do it. I'll back polekitten on this one. Sometimes there is a bit of arrogance in the tone on these threads. Not everyone IS a baker..the customer said he was a designer, which would imply he likes to frost and embellish the cake. I hate to bake, I'll do it, but believe me..if I can get my sister to do it, I do it in a heartbeat!! I've even got a few from Kroger and publix when I didn't feel like baking. I do cakes for fun, so my opinion may be different from someone who earns their money and their reputation by it, but i don't see the need to belittle people here just because they don't feel the same way you do Mike.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:30pm
post #29 of 47

Yip... I remember the good old days on this site. *Sigh*

OhMyGanache Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:57am
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:

Mike

You make me laugh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%