Ugh! Mini Vent...

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 7:31am by CakesbyBecca

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:05am
post #1 of 12

I'm making two cakes to deliver to a twins birthday party tomorrow morning and they are full of mistakes. I'm still learning so much that every cake has it's challenges and I learn from them. The problem is, these cakes are sitting in my dining room, screaming what I did wrong and I want to fix them. I know how to fix them next time, but I can't fix them now because I would have to start all over and I don't have any fondant made. I know the woman who ordered them will love them because the mistakes aren't huge and to a lay person, they look ok, but to me...UGH! 15 more hours to stare at them before handing them off. I can't wait!

11 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:11am
post #2 of 12

I always feel like that.. i pick apart every cake I make but once you deliver it and you look back on the pictures you'll realize it was perfectly beautiful and you were just being too critical because you were sitting there staring right at it and grumbling about every little bump. I actually felt that way about the sponge bob cake I made. I ran out of time and couldn't make mister crab and I felt like my icing wasn't smooth enough. I delivered it and the little girl loved it so much and now I look back it and think ... eh, it's not so bad.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:12am
post #3 of 12

Becca--
I know what you mean. When something isn't right in YOUR eyes, it does just scream at you..."LOOK AT ME!!!"
Just walk away.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:14am
post #4 of 12

You said it yourself ... the customer will love them; you know how to fix it next time. What's the problem?

We are all critical of our work. We see every crack, every corner that's not square, every scroll that's not perfect. And we're the ONLY ones that see those. thumbs_up.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 12

Becca -

We are our own worst critics.... She will more than likely not see what you see. It's good that you see where you can improve next time, that will help you to keep striving higher icon_smile.gif

Don't be so hard on yourself.....

Jen icon_smile.gif

CakesbyBecca Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 12:33am
post #6 of 12

I delivered the cakes this morning and the mom was in the shower, so I didn't get to see her reaction icon_sad.gif. The nice thing is dh, whose hobby is photography and who used to have his own photography business, has gone from telling me to use my own camera to take pictures of my cakes to telling me that he wants to build me a light box so my pictures look more professional. YAY! The main thing that bugged me about these cakes (the latest barbie ones in my photos) was that I forgot about elevating the cake while covering it with fondant and my fondant got all wrinkly. GRRR! I didn't have enough fondant to do it over. Oh, well. I won't forget next time icon_smile.gif. Thanks for the support.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 12:42am
post #7 of 12

I think they're adorable.....barbie cakes are really challenging and you did a great job!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:54am
post #8 of 12

You're doing a good job, keep up the good work. We all make mistakes from time to time, it's not the end of the world.

I'm sure the twins loved the cakes and the mom too.

Michele

CakesbyBecca Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 12

I've received 5 emails letting me know that I have comments on my photos, but when I go to the photos, there are no comments there. I know they are working on the glitches with the system and I'm hoping the comments that have been made will still be there when everything is fixed. Thanks for all your feedback.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 12:59am
post #10 of 12

See Heath's post about the problem (with comments) in this thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-611771-.html

HTH

CakesbyBecca Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:08am
post #11 of 12

Thanks, Jan!

CakesbyBecca Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:31am
post #12 of 12

Oh, YAY! I just got an email from the mom who said she and her guests LOVED the cakes and she wants me to do her birthday cake. What a relief! I wasn't sure what she thought, since I didn't get to see her when I delivered the cakes and didn't hear from her until now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%