Has Anyone Doctored A Red Velvet Mix?

Baking By akgirl10 Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 2:52am by jojo0676

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:43am
post #1 of 6

I don't even know what it should taste like. Is the mix any good or should I just stick to a scratch recipe? I like the idea of doctoring a mix because I need a sturdy cake. Any suggestions?

5 replies
jnmgreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnmgreen Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:26am
post #2 of 6

I've used the red velvet cake mix. I think it's just as good as from scratch. I took this to a church picnic, my Pastor said no one made a cake like his grandma, he said this was better than his grandmas. Several people asked if I'd give out the recipe, i didn't want to tell them it was a mix. If that helps you out any.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:41am
post #3 of 6

I doctor the red velvet mix, using the WASC recipe. But, I use some cocoa for part of the flour, and use buttermilk instead of water. I don't use almond, but then I never do!

Jodie

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:47am
post #4 of 6

I didn't know there was a red velvet mix....hmmm, think I'll give that a try... icon_twisted.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:48am
post #5 of 6

I use the red velvet mix for tiered cakes and cakes that need density. My scratch red velvet is too "fluffy" to hold up. I usually use for each mix: 4 eggs, 1/2 cup creamer 1/2 cup water; 1 box milk chocolate instant pudding and either 1/3 cup oil OR 8 oz. sour cream OR 8 oz. applesauce (whatever I feel like). Haven't had any complaints so far!

Good luck!

Beth in KY

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:52am
post #6 of 6

I used the enhanced cake formula recipe and it turned out great. I just added a little extra red color so it stayed nice and bright.

Mary Jo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%