New "toy" For Fondant Braids And New Recipe! (A Li

Decorating By KathyTW Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 9:30am by Frankyola

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 7

Today I traveled to a local store to get a toy for our local Toys for Tots drive. While I was in the toy isle I came across an old favorite and it hit me.....I hate using the clay extruder for making the ropes for fondant braids...why not try the Play Dough set that has the press with the different shapes?

So I bought one - just for fun!!!

This was an "off brand" not the true Play Dough brand - it feels a little less sturdy than I remember the PD one being but since that was about 30+ years ago, I could be wrong!

First I tried some left over MMF from a couple of days ago that I made a braid out of - it pushed through "okay" but was really jagged when it came out.

Next I tried some RBC that I have been using on cookies, that was a little too soft- pushed through very well but just didn't hold together well when trying to roll into the rope.

So....I put the two together. 1/2 RBC and 1/2 MMF. Oh my gosh - it pushed through so well and I could just keep adding more to the "extruder" to make longer ropes. It tastes good too! I also rolled some of the 1/2 & 1/2 mixture out and made some cut outs with the little cutters that came in the box. I let them sit on the table for about 5 minutes and they came up easily, didn't lose their shape, but they were still pliable enough to bend if needed. The ropes dry pretty fast so I twisted them right away and then let them set. If I were putting them on a cake I would attach the rope right away so they take the shape of the cake.

This was the best $4.99 I've spent all year! This set even came with a little plunger type extruder with small holes which are great for "hair" making. I'll be curious to see how long the pieces stay pliable...if they get too hard I may just adjust my 1/2 & 1/2 mixture until it's perfect. I've never experimented like this before so this was really fun for me!

Here's a picture of part of the set....
LL

6 replies
rachel-b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel-b Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 7

Thanks for sharing! I'll have to tell my DH. He's told me on several occassions to try using the PD sets. Or maybe I won't tell him..."I told ya so" is not my favorite thing to hear. icon_smile.gif

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:04am
post #3 of 7

Thats awesome. Maybe my son will not be getting his playdoh set for Christmas after all. JK of course! Now you have me wanting to go to the store to buy one like yours.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:25am
post #4 of 7

Thats great!! I really had never thought of using Play Doh "tools".

Thanks for the tips!! I might be going to Walmart for "tools"!!!

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 7

Yeah I discovered this toy about 3years ago and have had to buy it for a couple of cake enthusiast friends too when I showed them its usefulness and for such little money too; about $4.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 5:23am
post #6 of 7

I've been thinking of getting one. It's cheaper than fondant tools too. icon_smile.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 9:30am
post #7 of 7

I got 1 like three weeks ago, it is PD set, you can make waffles, sandwiches, strawberries, blueberries and it has the little extruder with different shapes too, it is really nice I love the waffles like so cute, i will take a picture tomorrow and show it to you, I pay like $12.00, but it worth it.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%