How Much Would You Charge For 9" Round Cake?

Business By Kookie Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 1:40am by leah_s

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 12

I made two layers of 9" round chocolate cake , IMBC peppermint filling and frosting . RI Christmas wreath with berries. write Happy birthday on cut out Fondant.
This order is from my mother's friend. How much would you charge?
Is $25 too much?
Thank you. icon_redface.gif

11 replies
Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 12

No, IMHO I think it is too little. My basic 9 inch round with a simple decoration is 35.00. You also have to charge extra for the royal icing wreath.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 12

i, myself, would charge at least $50.00 for this cake.. please charge more than $25.00... hth

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 12

That's 22 Earlene-sized servings at a minimum of $3.00/serving, so at least $66.00.

$25 will barely cover your costs.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:26am
post #5 of 12

Definately $50 to 60. Not a penny less.

Kookie Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:31am
post #6 of 12

I baked chocolate cake from scratch . I think that is reason why the cake is not so tall . When I bake cake mix , it gets taller than scratch one and most of the time it gets 4"tall ( two layers with filling)
So my cake is 3" tall. It is not big cake. That's why I thought the price would be $25 . What do you think?
Thanks again.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:02am
post #7 of 12

If you're offering her a discount, that's one thing. However, my price for that cake would be $38. I wouldn't charge extra for a small amount of royal icing decorations, but I do charge extra if it's a large amount of extra work. So maybe $5 extra. Putting it at $43.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:03am
post #8 of 12

I forgot to say, it sounds absolutely YUMMY!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:57am
post #9 of 12

For a 9" cake.. I call it 30 servings.. I'd probably call it 20 servings if it were a short cake. So let's say 20 servings.. I charge $5/serving so $100.00, but all of my cakes come with fondant and a custom fondant covered cake board. If it were just a simple cake without fondant or the board I'd probably charge a bit less.. No less than $70.00 though.

Kookie Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:16am
post #10 of 12

I need to think about changing the price.
Thank you very much for the quick replies.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:30am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookie

I baked chocolate cake from scratch . I think that is reason why the cake is not so tall . When I bake cake mix , it gets taller than scratch one and most of the time it gets 4"tall ( two layers with filling)
So my cake is 3" tall. It is not big cake. That's why I thought the price would be $25 . What do you think?
Thanks again.

A couple of things...

1. You might want to evaluate your scratch recipe. I bake mostly scratch with the occassional doctored mix and so far there has been no difference between the two (other than taste). However, I have tried many scratch repices and they didn't rise like some of the other scratch cakes....so, I throw away those recipes until I find one that meets my approval for both taste, texture and appearance. Did that make sense? Another thing you might want to look at is the amount of batter your scratch recipe makes. It could yield slightly less than your box recipe, therefore not rising as high in the pan as your box cake. Box mix might yield 5 cups of batter while your scratch recipe might only yields 4 cups. Believe it or not, that will make a difference once baked. You may not notice it in the pan, but you will once baked.

Another thing that I did per the advise of Indy Debi is to use my baking strips no matter the pan size. I use them on my 6" all the way up and my cakes rise over the pan and have not been dry since using the strips - plus, I watch them like a hawk in the oven to prevent overcooking. Now my cakes are anywhere from 4.5 to 5.5 inches tall depending if I tort each layer or not

2. A double layer cake between 3" and 6" tall yields the same number of servings as they are cut the same way. If your cake is less than 3" tall, Wilton says that cuts your servings in half.

Quote:
Quote:

Cakes from 3 to 6 in. high, baked in the same size pan, would yield the same number of servings because they follow the same pattern of cutting. Cakes shorter than 3 in. would yield half the number of servings indicated for that pan. Number of servings are intended as a guide only.

3. According to the Wilton Serving Guide, a 9" round double layer cake would serve 32 ppl (serving size is 1" x 2" slice of cake). I like to round down just a little so I say 30 servings. At $2.90 a serving, I wouldn't charge less than $87 for that cake....just my 2 cents! I wouldn't even cover the cost of my ingredients and such if I charged $25

Hope that helps!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:40am
post #12 of 12

22 servings (Wilton party chart) X $3 = $66 + $5 for the extra decorations.

I don't even turn on my oven for $25.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%