? Light Brown Sugar Vs Dark Brown Sugar

Decorating By hallow3 Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 10:24pm by EnjoyTheCake

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Light Brown sugar vs Dark brown sugar used in recipes? I need to make some cookies tonight and the store only had dark brown sugar. I am just making some choc chip and a sugar cookie.

3 replies
lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 4

From what info I can find the only difference is the amound of molasses in the sugars. Dark Brown Sugar has more, so it will have a stronger molasses flavor to it. Dark brown sugar may have a bit more moisture to it, but shouldn't make a difference in your cookies.

HTH

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 4

I think the dark brown just has more molasas. I personally only use dark brown because it makes my chocolate chip and raisin cookies darker and softer. I think it may make your sugar cookies too dark

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 4

Both types of brown sugar are a mixture of granulated sugars and molasses, with dark brown sugar containing more molasses than light brown sugar. Light brown sugar has a delicate flavor while dark brown sugar has a stronger more intense molasses flavor. They can be used interchangeably depending on your personal preference.

Answer found here.

Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%