For Those Of You Who Stake Your Cakes

Decorating By stlcakelady Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 1:44pm by karensue

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 8

I love staking my cake by driving a dowel rod down the middle of stacked cakes. Only thing is, if you're doing a buttercream cake, you can easily patch up the hole it leaves in the top cake...but what about a fondant covered cake? How do you guys patch up the hole?

7 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 8

Royal icing or decorations or topper

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 8

Cut a whole in very center of the cardboard of the top tier....stake all the cakes below top tier as usual leaving about 3 1/2" of the dowel above the cakes....put the top cake down on the dowel....no whole in the top frosting!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 12:33am
post #4 of 8

When using a 'stake' as you describe I always leave the dowel about 3" longer than the cake is tall & remove it once it is in place.
There is always some decoration or icing you can use to cover that hole.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:34am
post #5 of 8

I use drilled masonite board and mount the center dowel to the baseboard and lower the subsequent tiers down onto the center rod. If I have measured correctly, the dowel will only come 1/2 to 2/3 the way into the top tier and there is no hold to have to worry about.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:49am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

Cut a whole in very center of the cardboard of the top tier....stake all the cakes below top tier as usual leaving about 3 1/2" of the dowel above the cakes....put the top cake down on the dowel....no whole in the top frosting!

That's what I do... Just remember to make your hole...lol icon_rolleyes.gif

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:51am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I use drilled masonite board and mount the center dowel to the baseboard and lower the subsequent tiers down onto the center rod. If I have measured correctly, the dowel will only come 1/2 to 2/3 the way into the top tier and there is no hold to have to worry about.

Can you explain? Do you use some kind of flange? I have been wanting to do this, just haven't had the time to figure it out...

Thank!
Pat B.

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 8

I make my dowel longer than the height of the cake so that it can removed once it's been delivered. For weddings, I simply make two small fondant hearts, stamp them with the couple's initials, and place them over the hole. It's an unexpected touch that couple's love and it doesn't detract at all from the overall look of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%