Nfsc Question. Do You Weigh Your Flour? Or Measure?

Baking By Pebbles13 Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 4:26am by smm99

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:24am
post #1 of 28

For all of you cookie bakers out there who bake frequently - Do you measure the flour in the NFSC recipe, or do you weigh it? If so, how much does one cup of flour weigh? I have a ton of cookies to make this Christmas and was wondering if I'd save time by weighing, rather than measuring the flour. It seems that the weight could vary from one brand of flour to another, so that could be a problem. Any thoughts? Thank you and happy baking to all!

27 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:26am
post #2 of 28

WEIGH IT!! It's the most accurate method and you won't believe how "off" the scoop & level method can be.

I weigh 1 cup of all-purpose flour (not pre-sifted) at 130-135 grams.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:31am
post #3 of 28

Weigh, weigh, weigh!!! I don't know how much it is per cup off-hand, but on my scale, a batch of NFSC calls for 1 lb. 12 oz. of flour, if that helps. I also always weigh the powdered sugar for Antonia's RI recipe.

This is how I keep consistency and it is faster too. Once you switch to weighing, you will never look back! icon_biggrin.gif

dttcb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dttcb Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:38am
post #4 of 28

One cup of all purpose flour weighs 5oz. One cup of granulated sugar weighs 7oz. I don't use a measuring cup anymore! Weighing is the way to go!!!

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:07am
post #5 of 28

Thanks so much for the responses. I just bought a scale, so I'm going to give it a whirl! It does sound much easier, which is always a good thing!
Thanks again for the input. It's greatly appreciated.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:27am
post #6 of 28

If your worried about different brands or types of flour (or anything else for that matter) weighing different amounts just look at the nutritional value label on the back or sides of the package and you can figure it out from there.

I love weighing things instead of measuring!! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakegirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirlcakes Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 28

Antonia, since you have been my baking 'hero' for quite some time icon_smile.gif i pay attention to how you do things. there is a post a while back where you say you weigh the flour for NFSC at 150g per cup. i have been doing this and have been very pleased with the cookies! icon_smile.gif did you mean 150g / cup for a particular variety of NFSC (like chocolate or gingerbread)? i am making the chocolate rolled cookies today and am wondering if i should weigh flour at 150g/cup or 130-135/cup!?!?
thanks everyone for your awesome responses on here...this is such a great community icon_smile.gif

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 28

Weighing is the only 'weigh' to go!! I even made a chart of the commonly used ingredients that I broke down in 1/4 cup to 1 cup increments; noting the weight of those increments. I laminated it and its on a bullentin board in my kitchen. Saves an amazing amount of time to just glance over at that chart. As I use a new ingredient, say chocolate chips, I put the measuring cup on the scale, add the chips to measure, and note the weight on the recipe and add it to my chart.

Can't go wrong weighing!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 28

Weighing ingredients is the only way to insure that you get the same results every time.

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 28

Thank you! I am also about to get started on my holiday baking and came looking for tips before I started.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 28

I just started weighing my flour and WOW . . . so much easier, so much more accurate. I love it.

TracyLH Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:08pm
post #12 of 28

Too funny! I just saw this and immediately thought, "Weigh, weigh, weigh!" and see I already wrote that a while ago. icon_lol.gif

Tricia - I only weigh and I write it on my recipe so I have it each time. I will have the weight written down for a single batch, 1 1/2, and double. It makes it so much faster and more consistent. You are right that different flours will weigh a bit different. I use one standard flour for all cookies myself. Weighing has worked out very well for me. icon_smile.gif

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:40am
post #13 of 28

I use both cake flour and AP flour in mine. The cake flour is a bit lighter with 3 cups weighing about 3/4 lb and the AP weighs about 1 lb. for 3 cups. I only measure to 1 1/2 lbs or the dough is too dry, but I start with the cake flour.

antonia74 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirlcakes

Antonia, since you have been my baking 'hero' for quite some time icon_smile.gif i pay attention to how you do things. there is a post a while back where you say you weigh the flour for NFSC at 150g per cup. i have been doing this and have been very pleased with the cookies! icon_smile.gif did you mean 150g / cup for a particular variety of NFSC (like chocolate or gingerbread)? i am making the chocolate rolled cookies today and am wondering if i should weigh flour at 150g/cup or 130-135/cup!?!?
thanks everyone for your awesome responses on here...this is such a great community icon_smile.gif

Aww you! icon_wink.gif I've actually found a big variation in weights of different brands of flours too....from 130g to 150g per cup, sifted/unsifted. I weigh my flour for NFSC at 150g for one cup (and I don't sift) and it's working perfectly for me. (For cake recipes, I lean on the lighter side and weigh mine at 135-140g per cup now when I do sift.)

cakegirlcakes Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:07am
post #15 of 28

Thanks Antonia! yes, 150g/cup for NFSC works perfectly for me also, so i didn't want to change!!! what you wrote makes sense...thank you for clarifying. You are so generous with your time and talents. icon_smile.gif
Yes, everyone...i am finding that it is necessary to weigh in order to get consistency. Happy baking all!

TracyLH Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:00pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

You are so generous with your time and talents.

I fully agree! If it weren't for Helen's time and generosity in sharing her RI recipe, I never would have found my little niche. I am still amazed that she has the time to help the rest of us... and it is so very appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:41pm
post #17 of 28

Sounds like I need to put a good kitchen scale on my Santa Wish List. icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:00am
post #18 of 28

icon_cry.gifWhere the heck is the "group hug" emoticon?????

xoxo, I love sharing anything I can...hey, I'm still learning here from all of you too! icon_lol.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:25am
post #19 of 28

That's funny you should mention, CookieO! My DH asked me what I want for Christmas this year and (yup! you guessed it!) I want a good kitchen scale, too! Last weekend my six-year-old niece gave me a sweet bread recipe called Duivekaters she wants me to make for our Christmas Eve family gathering. I said absolutely and took the recipe. Well, I looked it over last night, and every ingredient is in pounds and ounces! icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

I doubt I'll have a scale by then. I'll need to see if I can find the recipe with cup, TBSP and tsp measurements. If not, I'm sure I can make something else especially for her and she'll be happy. But I've been wanting a scale for a long time and just never got one. .... Definitely going to get one now!!! icon_wink.gif

antonia74 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:43pm
post #20 of 28

MalibuBakinBarbie, this site will be really useful to you! thumbs_up.gif

www.onlineconversion.com

......it does all the math for you!

icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:18pm
post #21 of 28

I act like I don't know, I should weight things, because that is all we did in school, but at home I use the cup measurements, SHAME ON ME<
anyway, what kind of scale do you guys, use kitchen or bakery.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:41pm
post #22 of 28

i weigh everything as well! mine is 120 grams for a cup of flour : )

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:19pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Quote:
Quote:

You are so generous with your time and talents.

I fully agree! If it weren't for Helen's time and generosity in sharing her RI recipe, I never would have found my little niche. I am still amazed that she has the time to help the rest of us... and it is so very appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

yes, yes, yes!!!!

cakegirlcakes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:39pm
post #24 of 28

Uniqueask (i hope i spelled that right)!
i just bought my very first one and knew (and know) nothing about scales. it's a Cuisinart brand electronic scale, which goes up to 16 lbs. measures both metric and american, cost about $40 at Bed, Bath & Beyond. it is great for me!!! so far so good. hope this helps icon_wink.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:43pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirlcakes

Uniqueask (i hope i spelled that right)!
i just bought my very first one and knew (and know) nothing about scales. it's a Cuisinart brand electronic scale, which goes up to 16 lbs. measures both metric and american, cost about $40 at Bed, Bath & Beyond. it is great for me!!! so far so good. hope this helps icon_wink.gif

Thank You

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:51pm
post #26 of 28

thanks for the advice. I wil try the NFSC and will be measuring them. I will let you know how they turn out.

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:03am
post #27 of 28

i know this is a very old post but for those of you who weigh flour do you also weigh the sugar? if so how much do you consider to be a cup? it is not really mentioned in any of the responses.
thanks

smm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smm99 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:26am
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade8

i know this is a very old post but for those of you who weigh flour do you also weigh the sugar? if so how much do you consider to be a cup? it is not really mentioned in any of the responses.
thanks

I would think that there isn't as much variation in a cup of sugar as there is in a cup of flour, cuz you can't compress sugar the way you can flour...? So, my thinking is that, with sugar it wouldn't matter quite so much. Hi, fellow Calgarian! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%