Cake For Saturday - Can I Bake It Tonight?

Decorating By MandyE Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 5:45am by Frankyola

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 4

Normally, when I have a cake due on Saturday, I bake and make icing on Thursday night and decorate on Friday night (and possible finish on Saturday depending on party time). My Friday night is a bit busy and I was wondering, can i bake and make icing tonight and decorate tomorrow night? Will the icing be way too crunchy (crusting buttercream) if I do it that way?

Please offer up your opinions. TIA!

Mandy

3 replies
SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 4

I am in the same boat as you this week. Usually, I bake Thursday for Saturday but I am traveling with the cake, leaving Friday and the cake is due Sat. so I am baking as I type. I have to be finished with it Thursday night as I work on Friday and am leaving for my drive when I get off work. I am actually covering mine with fondant and refridgerating it until I leave. Even if I was just using BC I would still refrigerate the cake. I use crusting BC and don't see any problem with it getting crunchy. I believe it will be fine for you.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 4

Absolutely! What I have done is baked it on Wednesday night and while slightly warm, I wrapped it up in about 4 layers of saran wrap and then put it in my fridge. It keeps your cakes super moist. Then one Thursday, I would make my fillings, prep my boards and make any gumpaste stuff if needed. Friday night I would make my icing (I'm weird and only like to work with freshly made icing...I like the consitency better, plus I always forget to take it out in the morning to "thaw out"). I torte, fill and decorate Friday night and it's all ready for pick up Saturday morning. I always get the "your cakes are soooooo moist" comments so it seems to work just fine! If you had to decorate tomorrow night, your icing will keep the cake moist. From what I've heard, a cake fully decorated will keep fresh for 7 days. Good luck!

As for the crusting BC, you won't have any issues. What I tell the customer is to take the cake out of the fridge about 20-30 minutes before serving so the icing softens up and isn't hard to cut through. Works like a charm.

Good luck!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:45am
post #4 of 4

Totally agree with Trixyinaz. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%