How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Left Over Meals

Lounge By mellormom Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 7:48pm by michellenj

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 13

I'm in need of left over meal ideas. My left over meals are very boring so I thought I would start a thread about it. icon_smile.gif
Any ideas?
Jen...

12 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:12am
post #2 of 13

What kind of leftovers do you usually have on hand?
I have a lot of leftover ideas since I cook more chicken and meat to hold over to use the following day in another dish.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:29am
post #3 of 13

We usually make gumbo with leftovers. Chicken, turkey, seafood, whatever it is, it more than likely can go into a gumbo. LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:41am
post #4 of 13

Are you talking making meals out of whatever you have? Or planning meals that have good leftovers?

One idea that I do alot in the "planning for leftovers" is crock pot roast. I can get 3 meals out of this one. I cook the roast with potatoes and carrots in the crock pot, adding lots of water, so I get lots of broth. Day 2, use the broth to make beef-n-noodles. Day 3, leftover beef-n-noodles. If you work it right, you can also get a couple of lunches out of the leftovers. I can make a $4 roast into 3 or more meals this way!

We also used to have "hodge podge night". I'd pull everything out of the refrigerator and that's what we had for dinner. 4 people and only 2 pcs of chicken? Then only 2 people get chicken. Only 2 or 3 servings of lasagna left? Flip a coin. I might have 10 different dishes sitting out on the counter, some only 1 or two servings worth, but everyone filled their plate/bowl and lined up at the microwave. My kids still talk about this fun dinner night!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 13

I have a recipe for meatloaf that makes 2 big loaves. We'll have the meatloaf one night. I'll slice the second meatloaf into 6-8 slices when it cools, then the next night I'll heat up the slices on a cookie sheet for a few minutes, then put it on slices of garlic bread with shredded cheese and a chunky tomato sauce on top, then bake it some more.

I'll also do pulled pork in the crock pot, then freeze whatever leftovers we have and use them in Brunswick Stew.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 13

Great thread!

My house is like Indy's - we have "Iffits" night ("if it's" in the fridge, we'll eat it). It's usually first come-first served. If I yell dinnertime and you arrive first, you get first pick.

I make lots of soups with leftover meat and veggies. Leftover chilli goes well into a soup, as does a dollop of mashed potatoes just before serving.

I also make leftover chilli into tortilla pie (layers of flour tortillas and chilli, topped with cheese, 5 minutues in the oven) which everyone likes. I LOVE leftovers so make double of most things, either to freeze or for the next day.

mellormom Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks everyone! I guess I was thinking in advance so I could plan what to by to get 2 or 3 meals out of it.
This is a good thread I can't wait to see what other people come up with. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 13

See great suggestions on this thread...and like indydebi said, a "hodge podge" night... We do this and set it out like a buffet. First come first served and this cleans out the fridge. Then if there's anything leftover from buffet night, it goes to my Heelers outside.

I only do this with food 3 days old or less... I'm kinda funny about meat after that. My husband would eat it if it was 2 weeks old...or more!

mellormom Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 13

I have a roast beef left over meal that I do like. Hot Roast beef sandwiches. Take toast put roast beef on top and smother it in gravy. Very tasty!
Any other ideas?
Jen...

michellenj Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:41am
post #10 of 13

Sometimes I'll make sausage and peppers, then use the leftovers to liven up a pasta sauce.

During the summer I will get a big pack of chicken breasts and grill them all, then slice some to put in salads and pastas, and chunk some and make chicken salad and chicken pot pie with them.

mellormom Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 13

I'm now making Chicken and Dumplings with my left over chicken. The ideas are slowly coming. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 13

I make up wraps a lot with left over chicken or omelets, chicken pot pies, pasta with chicken/bacon and cheese over the sauce and chicken with salsa and cheese.

michellenj Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 13

I just saw a recipe on Allrecipes that sounded good. It was for White Chicken Chili, and used leftover or rotisserie chicken.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%