AIt's creamier when warm.

tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 8:45pm
post #32 of 42

A*shiver* does it take any different?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 5:43pm
post #33 of 42

AI actually am eating cereal with room temperature milk right now. We left it out accidentally when we made chocolate milk earlier. There was only about an inch worth in there, so we're finishing it up. I am not bothered at all! Tastes just the same!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 6:49pm
post #34 of 42

I refrigerate 100% of my cakes -buttercream and fondant covered.  I like the icing to be firm for delivery.  It may just be in my head, but a firm cake just seems sturdier to me for transport.  I have yet to loose a cake, so in my head or not, it works for me.

Also, once the buttercream or fondant has firmed up it isn't fragile.  So if I accidently (lightly) bump it, there is no damage.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 11:41pm
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311 

I refrigerate 100% of my cakes -buttercream and fondant covered.  I like the icing to be firm for delivery.  It may just be in my head, but a firm cake just seems sturdier to me for transport.  I have yet to loose a cake, so in my head or not, it works for me.

Also, once the buttercream or fondant has firmed up it isn't fragile.  So if I accidently (lightly) bump it, there is no damage.

I do the same. The only time I've ever dumped a cake was one that wasn't refrigerated.  I put my fondant decorations in the fridge and I have no problem refrigerating a cake with royal deco on it. The first time i used royal icing decorations I tested by covering a hardened butterfly with straight IMBC (because I was told it would melt the RI) and it was as hard as a rock the next day.

The only caveat to my entire story is that I used the SPS this summer, for the first time. I assembled the cake on-site, and experienced some cracking due to the IMBC being so cold. So, In future I will let the cake warm up a bit before transporting to avoid the cracks. 

I use Rose Beranbaum's IMBC and she does say it can stay at room temp for up to 8 hours, and she's got a PHD in baking, and stuff. 

Jen

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 2:49am
post #36 of 42

I would like to watch this post, but I don't see the watch anymore. Is it just me or did they do away with it?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 2:55am
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailika 

I would like to watch this post, but I don't see the watch anymore. Is it just me or did they do away with it?

Just under the title of this thread is a "subscribe" button.  After clicking that you can choose how you wish to receive notifications of new posts to the thread to which you have subscribed.

KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:24am
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykesmommy 

The thought of warm milk alone makes me queasy. The smell of milk, whether straight of the shelf or after sitting out, makes my stomach turn. She is a lot braver than I am!

Then don't think about the fact that milk comes out of the cow at 101 degrees F.  icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:31am
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh 

seriously, where do you people get your information? Have any of you taking the FDA food safety course? Has anyone been approved by the Dept of Ag and given a license? Because if you had you would know that you cannot hold anything with dairy over 40 degree F for more than 4 hours without tossing it. And yes, that includes egg whites.

Or maybe you got an inspector who doesn't care. but mine comes thru with a temp probe.

First, the FDA doesn't give food safety classes.  The American National Standards Institute is what gives the classes and it's what all Health Departments follow.  It is scientifically impossible for the contaminates that cause food born illnesses to live, grow and thrive in a food that has a water content of lower then .85 and a pH of higher then 4.6.  Meringue and american style buttercreams are shelf stable.  Even when you add a little milk, cream, chocolate, cream cheese, sour cream, non-dairy creamer, or whatever other things people use for flavoring.  The sugar content is so incredibly high that even with those things added, they are still shelf stable.  I know I should say "most" instead of "all", but I have yet to ever see a recipe for ABC that is NOT shelf stable so I'm all-in now.  I'm sayin ALL.  

And no completed buttercream ever needs time/temperature control.  Bavarian cream, yes.  Cheesecake, yes.  Icing?  No.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:54am
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

And no completed buttercream ever needs time/temperature control.  Bavarian cream, yes.  Cheesecake, yes.  Icing?  No.

No? Not even the ones that have a cup of milk cooked with starch per cup of butter or shortening?

And excuse me, but in CA, the **new** cottage food law  in effect sonce January 1 of 2013 prohibits certain materials from being used at all in baked goods sold by home producers...specifically cream and custard  

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120AB1616

So "adding a smidge of sour cream" or "adding a small amount of cream" to icing is no longer the innocent activity that it used to be.  Not if you sell the end result from home in CA.  And CA is probably not the only state that restricts such uses.

So there are exceptions to some general statements that have been made in various threads on Cake Central.

I do not believe it is in the interest of the nontechnical people who read Cake Central to see general statements that might actually get them in trouble with the law.  I think it is far better to advise people to use the safest ingredients and recipes and holding practises possible.

tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 4:30am
post #41 of 42

A

Original message sent by KLCCrafts

Then don't think about the fact that milk comes out of the cow at 101 degrees F.  :D

Oh wow! Does it really? Learn something new every day!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 4:54am
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene 

No? Not even the ones that have a cup of milk cooked with starch per cup of butter or shortening?

And excuse me, but in CA, the **new** cottage food law  in effect sonce January 1 of 2013 prohibits certain materials from being used at all in baked goods sold by home producers...specifically cream and custard  

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120AB1616

So "adding a smidge of sour cream" or "adding a small amount of cream" to icing is no longer the innocent activity that it used to be.  Not if you sell the end result from home in CA.  And CA is probably not the only state that restricts such uses.

So there are exceptions to some general statements that have been made in various threads on Cake Central.

I do not believe it is in the interest of the nontechnical people who read Cake Central to see general statements that might actually get them in trouble with the law.  I think it is far better to advise people to use the safest ingredients and recipes and holding practises possible.

Is that an ABC?  I specifically said meringue-based and ABC, and quoted actual science and food standards on the National level in the US.  I've never even had that type of icing before, but looking at the sugar ratio I'd say YES, it probably is, but I really have no idea.  

Cottage laws and regulations are a completely different argument and totally off topic - those laws exist because people are cooking in unregulated kitchens using non-commercial equipment without having to have manager or even the basic food handler's permits or certificates.  These laws have very little to do with the science and everything to do with trying to minimize every possible risk to the public without having to have the same type of inspection and oversight as if it was a commercial facility.  There is no national standard for what can and cannot be prepared at someone's house and sold to the public.  It's literally state by state, county by county.

Regardless that wasn't the question, and I'm locking this thread because I'm not having a debate about cottage laws in a 5 year old thread that asked about refrigerating a fondant cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%