Corn Starch Vs. Powdered Sugar

Decorating By alanaj Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 9:18pm by BlakesCakes

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 8

Is there a reason some people recommend using corn starch for dusting when working with fondant and some say powdered sugar? Does one have more advantages/disadvantages than the other? I tried to do a forum search but it kept freezing on me.

Thanks!

7 replies
Shazzicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzicakes Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 8

I use powdered sugar when working with marzipan, and cornstarch when working with sugarpaste/fondant. Haven't had any problems this way - have never tried p.sugar with fondant, but a friend of mine did have trouble with it.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 8

I also use cornstarch with fondant, I've tried both but prefer cornstarch because I find that ps makes it a little more sticky.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 8

The ps makes the fondant sticky and absorbes into the fondant. Basicaly the sugar melts and changes the structure of the fondant. The corn starch stays on the surface and doesn't change the texture of the fondant. Use corn starch, much easier!

alanaj Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much for the responses. Looks like I need to put the ps away---it could be the culprit of many of my fondant woes!

Shazzicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzicakes Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 8

If your fondant is a dark colour, rather smear petalbase on your surface (use a sheet of plastic) - fondant won't stick, and won't show up white on your dark colour.

alanaj Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 8

What is petalbase?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 8

Petalbase is like crisco/white vegetable fat, but more expensive. I was told that some brands have a bit of beeswax added to it.

You can avoid the entire issue of CS vs. PS by rolling on a bit of crisco smeared on the counter, a piece of vinyl, or a silicone mat.

PS makes fondant sticky and CS is a drying agent. CS can also ferment in fondant leftovers, so storing bits rolled out on CS can be iffy. Using crisco also eliminates the issue of "dusty" fondant.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%