2 Toned Cake - How Do I Do This This?

Decorating By AZCakeGirl Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 3:03am by nesweetcake

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone please explain how to get this 2 tone effect on a cake? I've seen it done in both buttercream & fondant. I'm guessing with fondant, you would probably just take a strip to wrap around the bottom of the cake but shape it first & then add the piping along the edge to cover the "seam". Is that right? However with the cake pictured below, I don't think it would look like frosting coming over the top of the cake unless the top part was added on 2nd, not 1st. Would it? Is there another way to do this?

Also, how would I get the same effect with buttercream? I'm at a complete loss as how that would be done. I'm thinking that you could frost both colors where you want them, but wouldn't they run together when you try to smooth it all out with your spatula?

I've got some extra time today & would like to give it a try on one of my dummy cakes for practice. Thanks for any help!

5 replies
vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 6

I think it looks like the cake is covered in a full piece of fondant then the line is piped on and the two sections are painted different colors. If I was doing buttercream I would ice then air brush on the colors.

sfaith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfaith Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 6

I think as far as the picture goes, the colors are painted on after the fondant is put on and then a fondant rope where the two colors meet.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 6

I'd wrap the sides in one color then put an overlay on the top, then attach the "cord" on the edge.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with leah...it looks like an overlay...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:03am
post #6 of 6

I think this is air brushed. If you look close, it looks like there
is some of the darker pink blending into the top of the bottom
layer. Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%