Help!! Serving Guide

Decorating By angie941mx Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 11:31am by angie941mx

angie941mx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angie941mx Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! everybody

Recently I have sold some cakes but I have a big very big doubt with "serves" I need some help because I don't konw if I have sold my cakes correctly:

* I use one recipe that , it says for 12 serves... these serves are the same like "party serves" or they are diferents sides.

* Which is the standar high measure for cakes. 4" or 3"

* example: If I use round pan 6" (high 4") and my recipe of 12 serves:

+ the "serving guide says" 6"= 12 party or wedding serves, it is
right if I use my recipe 12.
+ which is right form to fill the pan:
all cake mix = 1 layer = 12serves
1/2- 2/3 cake mix = 1 layer =12 serves
all cake mix = cut cake 2 parts 2 layers=12 serves
1/2 -2/3 cake mix = cut cake 2 parts= 2 layers

I'm sorry if I ask sillies question..but really I'm soooo confused.

1000 Thanks.

6 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 7

The Wilton chart posted on Wilton's website is standard for 2 layers (3"-4" high). I use this, but let my customers know that it is based on party sized servings of 1 1/2" x 2", if they want bigger servings to order a larger cake but I still charge per serving based on this chart. If it is a 1 layer cake, then you cut the number of servings in half and allow for larger slices. This chart also gives an estimate for how many cups of batter you will need (WASC recipe on this site makes approx. 7 cups of batter), but it really is just an estimate, I usually wind up needing a little more than that to fill my pans almost 2/3 high.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 7

You're really overthinking it icon_smile.gif .
Serving charts are guides you can use based on a 4" tall cake. This is the guide I use (you'll have to take out the spaces - I typed it that way because CC blocks this website)
http://www. b a k ing 9 11 .com/cakes/numberofservings_guide.htm

It's up to you to determine how much batter you are going to use to fill your pans. I usually make cupcakes and freeze them if I only have a little batter left; sometimes I purposefully make extra to freeze a cake for dessert for an impromptu get together.

If you ever decide to try the WASC cake (white almond sour cream - the only recipe I use), the recipe lists how batter to use for various pan sizes
http://www.recipezaar.com/White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Wedding-Cake-69630

angie941mx Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:37am
post #4 of 7

1000 thanks
your information help icon_biggrin.gif

NCmomof3boys :
I undrestand that allways I need to fill my pan 2/3 and
and I cut my cake and I have two layers.

MacsMom
I have taken your recipe and there are a good tips for me.

Thanks

angie941mx Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:38am
post #5 of 7

1000 thanks
your information help icon_biggrin.gif

NCmomof3boys :
I undrestand that allways I need to fill my pan 2/3 and
and I cut my cake and I have two layers.

MacsMom
I have taken your recipe and there are a good tips for me.

Thanks

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 7

I use the wilton cutting guide for servings. I use the wedding cake size for all my cakes since that is the maximum number of servings a cake can serve. That size is a 1x2x4 inch slice. By 4", I mean two 2" cakes stacked on top of each other with filling in between, not one 2" cake cut in half). I tell people that if they want bigger slices, they need to order a bigger cake and then charge accordingly.

I have a serving guide listed on my blog if you want to see it. I never go by what a recipe says. I'll see recipes that say their batch of batter will fill three 8"x2" round pans and that it serves 12 people. I don't think so!!! In my books an 8" cake that is 4 inches tall would serve 24 people. If you only charged for 12 servings, you are short changing yourself half the cost.

As for how much batter to put in the pans, I use the Wilton guide again. For instance, I have a recipe that is exaclty 6 cups of batter. That is exactly what is needed to fill a 10" round pan according to their chart. And, it works perfectly. So, what I would do is when you make a recipe for the first time, measure it out to find out how many cups of batter it makes. Then when someone orders that cake in such and such size, you'll know how much batter to make (double/triple/half the recipe). Anyway, that's what I do and it seems to work perfectly.

angie941mx Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 11:31am
post #7 of 7

1000 Thanks
Trixyinaz

Your tips are like a treasure , I understand now many things.
Now I am going to tried new things for to sell correctly my cakes

I have visited your blog congratulations your cakes are fabulous.

Angelica thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

I use the wilton cutting guide for servings. I use the wedding cake size for all my cakes since that is the maximum number of servings a cake can serve. That size is a 1x2x4 inch slice. By 4", I mean two 2" cakes stacked on top of each other with filling in between, not one 2" cake cut in half). I tell people that if they want bigger slices, they need to order a bigger cake and then charge accordingly.

I have a serving guide listed on my blog if you want to see it. I never go by what a recipe says. I'll see recipes that say their batch of batter will fill three 8"x2" round pans and that it serves 12 people. I don't think so!!! In my books an 8" cake that is 4 inches tall would serve 24 people. If you only charged for 12 servings, you are short changing yourself half the cost.

As for how much batter to put in the pans, I use the Wilton guide again. For instance, I have a recipe that is exaclty 6 cups of batter. That is exactly what is needed to fill a 10" round pan according to their chart. And, it works perfectly. So, what I would do is when you make a recipe for the first time, measure it out to find out how many cups of batter it makes. Then when someone orders that cake in such and such size, you'll know how much batter to make (double/triple/half the recipe). Anyway, that's what I do and it seems to work perfectly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%