Forming Fondant

Decorating By carolinakids3 Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 12:20am by 2508s42

carolinakids3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinakids3 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 4

I recently made a 3 D deer cake it was suppose to have antlers but my fondant did not work. I formed it 3 days before so it could dry but when I tried to use them they fell over and there was no helping them I ending up making it a girl It looked nice but I was not happy with it. icon_sad.gif

Do I need to add something to my store bought fondant to be able to form it? Or do I need to make it in some way. I have been wanting to try making it be have not yet, can anyone help me?? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 4

Hi, you need to add 1/2 a teaspoon of CMC/tylose powder to 250g of fondant. Or the other thing that you can do is mix 50/50 fondant and gumpaste. I haven't made the antlers, so can't advice how to do them. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:11am
post #3 of 4

Bashini has answered your questions for you but I just wanted to add that if you don't have tylose you can always add gum-tex to your fondant as well. The ratio is 1 teaspoon to 12 oz fondant.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:20am
post #4 of 4

How thick were the antlers? I would allow a week or more for something that big. I have never had fondant dry completely that fast.

Also, I use 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. Works great, speeds up the drying time and it is super strong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%