Chocolate Wrap Questions? Please Help!

Decorating By Callyssa Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 2:16am by sayhellojana

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 6

This will be my first wrap and I'm a nervous wreck! First, I need to know if I can use Hershey's bars to melt down, or do they need to be tempered? (don't know how to do that, and I'm not ready to try yet!) Should I just use candy melts? Hershey bars are the boys' favorite candy bars and I'm doing this kind of like a candy barrel cake.

I don't know how to get this to post, but I have a picture saved of one done with lots of scribbles of different colored chocolate and I'm not sure how to get that look. Should I drizzle the different colors first and let them harden, then spread the melted chocolate and then wrap?

I've also seen where the chocolate has been cut, or broken, then laid in strips on the cake. Is that easier to do, and at what point do you cut the chocolate?

If anyone has pictures they can show me I would be so grateful. I'd love to see more designs than just the few I've found.

Thank you once again for your help, I couldn't do it without!

5 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 6

If you've never tempered before use candy melts (almond bark) Ghiradelli makes a good candy making product and it's sold at walmart in the baking isle. If you were to do different colors, do NOT let them harden, the chocolate all needs to be melted when you wrap it or else it won't bend. If you were to break the chocolate down into peices, just melt it and spread it out and when it's hard, break it with a spatula.

Callyssa Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 6

So that would be a no-go on using Hershey bars then, huh? Where would I find acetate long enough to wrap a cake?

I have a question about coloring white chocolate also; I have Americolor oils for coloring white chocolate, but it doesn't seem to work well at all. Does it just take a TON of color? I really want to get some bright colors.

Callyssa Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 6

bump......

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 6

Hmmm... I've never tried to make my own wrap - I always buy them. Sorry, I can't tell you where I got them cause I'm still at work (shhhh) Go to the cake decorating forum and at the top of the threads there is a terrific thread stickied from ShirleyW. I haven't read it in a long time, but it's about 20 pages long. Hopefully some of your questions have been answered in it. Good luck!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:16am
post #6 of 6

If your worried about colors, use candy melts. Their not the tastiest, but they'll do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%