First 3 Tier Cake... Help Please!

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 3:19am by CakeInfatuation

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 9

Okay... So I'm making a snowman cake for my sister-in-law's surprise 30th Birthday.

I was planning to just do a 2 tier snowman cake because based on servings... that's all we need. BUT, since my brother wants it to be a snowman, my husband says it should look realistic. I've never done a cake taller than 2 tiers. So....

I recently got bubble tea straws to use to stack my cake. Will these be sufficient to hold a 8" 6" 4" cake on a 45 minute drive?

My biggest fear is the cake crashing. That terrifies me. Especially after all the work! And how horrible to show up at the party and have NO CAKE!!!

The other option is to make the 4" cake a dummy. Which I'm fine with. Except I have no idea where to get them... what are they made out of... etc....

Thanks in Advance!!!

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 9

Hi shill, you can do 2 tiers and use a duumy ball ( which are styrofoam ) and ice it. YOu will be fine with the bubble teastrawa. I don't use them, but I have Sugarshack's video and she uses them all the time.

If you want to do the 4" from cake, you can do that as well. Use 4-5 bubble teastraws for the 8" and 4 for the 6". And use a centre dowel as well.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 9

Are you using three ball cakes, or regular round cakes? Of course I have to recommend using SPS if you're using the regular round cakes because it will make traveling with your fully assembled cake so much easier.

CakeInfatuation Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 9

I like the foam idea but the two bottom tiers will be 6 & 8 cake pans (not balls), won't a round top look funny?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 9

You can shape the round cakes a bit - cut the edge at an angle so it has a rounded appearance. To do that measure 1" in on the top from the edge and 1" down the side. Just pipe a dot or line of icing. Now take a small sharp knife and hold it so it touches each mark and cut awayicon_smile.gif Do be careful that you don't go too deep and keep it even all the way around the cake.
You can buy 4" styro at places like Hobby Lobby or Michael's. One 2" or 3" tall piece will be enough.

CakeInfatuation Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:31am
post #6 of 9

I ended up going with a 4" cake. I bought a mini spring form pan at AC Moore. It worked out pretty well. My husband helped me put a dowel all the way down through the cake. It was time consuming icing and covering 3 layers but I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks for your help!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1292229&done=1

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:40am
post #7 of 9

what a cute cake! Excellent detail, right down to the cold, red cheeks on the snowman! thumbs_up.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:43am
post #8 of 9

shill, your snowman cake turned out really cute!

CakeInfatuation Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:19am
post #9 of 9

Thanks guys. I tend to go a bit overboard. My husband says I'm crazy. And right now... my feet hurt so bad I can't stand on them anymore. So I think he's right. ha ha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%