Rolled Buttercream And Cookies

Decorating By stsapph Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 4:11pm by kaat

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 3:37am
post #1 of 8

Hey all!

I was wanting to try the rolled buttercream recipe this weekend for some cookies and was wondering what everyone's experience with it was. If there were any tricks you found to help it roll better, consistency etc. I'm doing some cookies for a party and wanted to do a rolled chocolate cookie covered with the rolled buttercream and then hand painted. Does this sound like it would work with the rolled BC or should I try something else? Any advice would be great! TIA

Amber

7 replies
sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 3:52am
post #2 of 8

I've made rolled buttercream once and had planned on using it for a cake. It tastes great but was extremely hard to work with. Its very soft and you have to work very carefully. I think it would be a lot easier to use on cookies. I do still want to make it again and try it out. I've heard (correct me if i'm wrong) that to do it you roll out the buttercream, and use the cookie cutters that you used for the cookies and apply when the cookies are warm.
I would love to hear from other people too about their experiences with it.

stsapph Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 8

Yeah, that was how I was planning on attaching it. I'm not worried about it being soft going on, that was part of the idea actually, but I want to see if I could paint on it using gel coloring and vodka. I didn't know if it would be too soft or would break it down. If so, I can always use MMF, I just wanted to try a new recipe and get some info from people who have used it before.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 8

The rolled buttercream is soft but it's not that soft. You should be able to paint and decorate it the same way you would with fondant, just being a little bit more careful since it is more delicate. But I think you will have great results!

stsapph Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks! I'm really excited to try this. Thank you for the information!

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 8

After I roll my out and cut it, I place it in the frezzer for a few minutes. It makes it alot easier to handle and when you place it on the warm cookie it attaches well. Let it set out for a little while to dry and them blot with a paper towel to remove the oil that forms on the top sometimes. Then you can paint or brush it with the edible dusts. Hope this helps thumbs_up.gif

stsapph Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks Melonie!! Will definitely keep that in mind when I do these.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 8

Can these be accented with royal icing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%