Hand Cut Cookies

Baking By Lenette Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 1:30am by KKC

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 8

I need to hand cut 50 cookies. What is the best tool for that?

I did some before and used a knife but the edges were a bit ragged. Is there a trick to this or is it better to use something other than a knife?

TIA! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:22am
post #2 of 8

I use a really sharp knife when I hand cut. I try to cut in long stokes along the template I am using. If you have any rough edges, just smooth them with your finger.
Could you take a larger, inexpensive metal cutter and reshape it for your design? Bakinccc does this and I think it is a great idea!

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:44am
post #3 of 8

Yep - I'd reshape a cutter anyday before I'd handcut 50 cookies. I did 3 once and that was enough!!! What shape are you doing? I thought I read once on here that someone was using an exacto knife. Maybe someone else can confirm that. Good luck!

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:55am
post #4 of 8

I may not understand the question correctly. However, would a sharp pizza cutter work? Mine makes really smooth cut lines.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:59am
post #5 of 8

Oh, yes! I use an exacto! The fine tip, to be exact (or exacto! icon_lol.gif ) Alright, enough at my sorry attempt at humor!

I used to use a fine tip paring knife, but find the exacto to be more precise. I really, really second what yankeegal and bakinccc said and think about making a cutter. KHalstead has an excellent tutorial here on CC. Here is the link:

http://cakecentral.com/article73-How-To-Make-Your-Own-Cookie-Cutters.html

Suppliers have changed since she first bought her aluminum flashing, so note that she warns to make sure that yours is food safe. I had no luck with the kind at Home Depot and Lowe's and would recommend bakinccc's great trick to reform other cutters.

If you are going to try to hand cut, here are a few suggestions:
1) Reconsider making a cutter icon_biggrin.gif (Okay, I tried!)
2) Iif you are going to cut, make sure your dough is well chilled. That will help a lot. If you do get ragged edges, smooth with your finger as yankeegal suggested. She is right on and it works well.
3) The template material I like best is to use the plastic template sheet from Joann's. It is in the quilting section. I use the lighter of the two weights personally. I trace my design with a sharpe, cut around the line (leaving some so you can see easier) and am good to go. It also washes well for future use and stores easily.
4) If you find your template is sticking, just wipe it off or go over it with a very, very light brushing of flour.

I wish you the best with this project! With 50, yes, it will take a little while to make a cutter, but in the long run you will save time by not having to cut all of those out. Just my two cents! icon_biggrin.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 1:15am
post #6 of 8

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I just can't get a cutter here in time and I need to take this order. I don't think I can make a cutter for it. The shape is a shoe with wings, you know the symbol for the sport of running track.

With the wings I don't think I can get the shape of it especially since I have never done this before and I need the cookies for Friday! I thought about it but I am not too adept at these things.

I will get a new blade for my exacto knife and try that. My dough was not chilled last time so that may be a factor too.

Thanks again and if there are more ideas I would love to hear them!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 1:29am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

Yep - I'd reshape a cutter anyday before I'd handcut 50 cookies.

This may be a dumb question..but i have to ask icon_redface.gif How do you reshape a cutter??

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 1:30am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

Yep - I'd reshape a cutter anyday before I'd handcut 50 cookies.

This may be a dumb question..but i have to ask icon_redface.gif How do you reshape a cutter??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%