Cake From My Childhood

Baking By Rhonda19 Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 6:20pm by panchanewjersey

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone.

I am looking for a cake recipe from my childhood. On our birthdays my mom always had a baker make our cakes. This person always baked a white sheet cake and had strawberry filling in the middle.

I am looking for the strawberry filling recipe. It was a creamy pink color and was thick like an icing, with whole strawberries in it.

Anyone got any ideas?? My mom is wanting me to make a cake like this.

Thanks
Rhonda

8 replies
Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 9

That sounds really good. did the frosting filling taste like strawberries too? maybe it was just a strawberry extract mixed with some buttercream with fresh berries in it.

have you experimented mixing anything together yet? I would like to know if you fine what you're looking for: [email protected]

Good Luck finding it! icon_smile.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 9

I have a recipe posted on here, it's fresh strawberries with whipped cream topping and a reg size box of strawberry jello mixed all together. It thick as you said and has a pink color and taste so good. You can eat it alone, goes real good with white cake.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 9

I made that one, panchanewjersey, and it was delicious.

Rhonda19 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 9

panchanewjersey .... I will try this recipe out, but do have a question. You don't dissolve the jello first? Would it not taste grainy?? Sorry to be a little dense here, but I am a newbie here!!

Boofycakes.... I have tried a couple of different combo's but nothing tastes like I remember. Mixing confectioners sugar and strawberries is too thin. This was very light and airy ....but again, this is from my childhood. I may not be remembering the way it really was. ( 35 years ago!!! LOL)

jonahsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmommy Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:50am
post #6 of 9

Could it be strawberry buttercream try this recipe that I use it is delicious and sounds like what you describe

Strawberry buttercream

- 1 cup of butter softened
- 1 32oz pkg of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of finely chopped fresh strawberries

beat butter at med. speed until fluffy, then add powdered sugar and strawberries beat at low speed until creamy. if too thin add more sugar if to thoic add more strawberries.

I hope you like it icon_smile.gif it's simple but good

Rhonda19 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 9

I am not sure how to edit on this forum, but thought you might like to know that I " played " last night.

I baked a French Vanilla ( I cheated....a box! ) and frosted with just a vanilla buttercream frosting. But...the filling for the middle.... I took some of the buttercream and mixed in some strawberry extract, and then took some strawberry jello and dissolved it in a few tsp. of HOT water, then let it cool and mixed it in as well.

My mom said the cake was GREAT!! and the filling was " almost " there, but it seems this baker used whole strawberries in his. Mom said that was his secret...he used whole strawberries, conf. sugar, and it was as thick as buttercream.

So next time I will put in some real strawberries.

mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 9

i use my juicer to make strawberry juice instead of jello. it will give you a truer strawberry flavor

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda19

panchanewjersey .... I will try this recipe out, but do have a question. You don't dissolve the jello first? Would it not taste grainy?? Sorry to be a little dense here, but I am a newbie here!!

Boofycakes.... I have tried a couple of different combo's but nothing tastes like I remember. Mixing confectioners sugar and strawberries is too thin. This was very light and airy ....but again, this is from my childhood. I may not be remembering the way it really was. ( 35 years ago!!! LOL)

Actually when you mix it all together and put in frig is dissolves put you have to leave it in for a 2 hours atleast, to chill anf firm up. But no it actually dissolves real good and tastes so good. You can try a small batch of it to test it first, just make a cup of it and see if you like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%