Food Network Extreme Holiday Cakes...anyone Watch It?

Decorating By KKC Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 1:27pm by GeminiRJ

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:58pm
post #31 of 67

I don't understand why they need the technology like fireworks! Just make over the top beautiful cakes! I am watching less-I actually quit watching that particular show as none of them impressed me.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:25pm
post #32 of 67

Yes, and honestly I thought Buddy should have won it!

Okay show of hands...how many of you would love to see Kerry Vincent actually participate in one of these Extreme Challenges, just to see how she handles the pressures and limitations that these challenges impose on the decorators? icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

Poor Laurie! I felt so sorry for her. I wonder if she had done this cake to completion to know for sure the sugar globe would work? Climate also plays a huge part in sugar art of that nature. Her concept was amazing!

Bronwen's cake was cool but I had to agree it showed way too much of the nuts & bolts, but like she said it was her first "extreme" cake. I know I wouldn't be able to pull off what these people pulled off in the amount of time given. My hat's off to all the challengers for even attempting!

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:45pm
post #33 of 67

Just an interesting aside...Did most of you know that Bronwen's assistant is actually her new husband, Francois? When I first met him at a class, I couldn't see them together, but they are so cute with each other.

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:45pm
post #34 of 67

I also feel the need to defend Kerry! She is one of the most amazing, selfless, kind-hearted people I have ever had the honor of knowing. Seriously!! The first class I ever took was with Kerry - that was 10 years ago and at the time I had no idea how lucky I was to be her student. She was patient, and encouraging and very down to earth. Just plain ol' nice!! I totally agree, I think it could be the editing that is giving her a negative vibe. On the other hand...she is there to do a job and that is to JUDGE. It is nearly impossible to be a judge without having to make negative comments about someone's work and, well, pick it apart. That's what they are there to do. I think FN just wants her to be their Simon. I just hate that she gets a negative image when that's not what she's like in person!! So next time you're thinking, What a B....please keep that in mind.

On the other hand, I would also love to see a judges challenge!!!

cakesdivine Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:56pm
post #35 of 67

Did I miss something...I have to go back and read other posts on here...I wasn't implying she was a B** at all! And I agree with your comment that FN's editing is making her their "Simon". BUT - I have never seen or heard of her decorating under these same stringent limitations and requirements that FN challenges impose on these decorators. I agree...Judges Challenge! Maybe we should all send in a request to the FN powers that be to make it happen! icon_wink.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:02pm
post #36 of 67

I just watched the show last night. I was disappointed with the whole thing. However, Bronwen is one of my cake heros and I rooted for her first and James second.

I just wish Bronwen had a finished product to show us, I loved the concept of her cake.

cakesdivine Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:22pm
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie53

I did love the idea on how he made the shingles for his rooftop, they looked real.

Yes! When I saw him make those shingles, I thought...How ingenious! Now I want to use that same technique on top of my gingerbread houses! Buddy may be full of himself but he is darn good at what he does! Just that little step, made his house look so real! Kudos, kudos, kudos!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:41pm
post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Okay show of hands...how many of you would love to see Kerry Vincent actually participate in one of these Extreme Challenges, just to see how she handles the pressures and limitations that these challenges impose on the decorators? icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

I would love to see her participate. Sometimes she really works my nerves tapedshut.gif I remember one challenge i think it was the Cirque de Soleil (sp?) and one participant I think his name was Jason (Jay), she told him that one part of his cake looked like an Air Conditioning Duct (which it really did) and then gave off one of her condescending smirks. He said that he wanted to jump over the table at her icon_lol.gif Although i don't promote violence it was quite funny... icon_razz.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:06pm
post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchsugar

Just an interesting aside...Did most of you know that Bronwen's assistant is actually her new husband, Francois? When I first met him at a class, I couldn't see them together, but they are so cute with each other.

I love it! I've always been an admirer of Bronwen's work, but just knowing she's married to the hot tattooed dude, totally takes her up a notch in my book! lol

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:18pm
post #40 of 67

Lalalalalala (fingers in my ears)- I'm not listening! It dosen't air in Canada until Sunday.... I knew I shouldn't have opened this post! icon_biggrin.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:29pm
post #41 of 67

I agree that Kerry is great and she is such a huge supporter of the art of cake. But, it has been stated before that the artists that are on these shows are at the top of the their game and she expects to see work done at that level. I agree that Extreme Christmas Cakes is not my choice for a challenge but these guys agreed to it and need to bring their "A" game - that's the reason they are there.

I did notice that they gave them 8 hours again, not the measly 6 hours they have had recently.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:35pm
post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Quote:

I love it! I've always been an admirer of Bronwen's work, but just knowing she's married to the hot tattooed dude, totally takes her up a notch in my book! lol

I never knew that was her hubby...he is hotttt!!! thumbs_up.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:47pm
post #43 of 67

The challenges are getting to far out there.....Their talents as a cake designer/decorator are lost in all the fireworks. They spend more time on the bells and whistles than on the cake itself. I like to watch, and hopefully learn, from them.

Maybe the directors think they will loose ratings if it's just a " decorating show"...... I don't know......would any of you make a cake with sparklers and or moving parts?

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:08pm
post #44 of 67

I think a cake for July 4th would be AWESOME with sparklers!!!!!!!!!
But I keep forgetting to watch this show!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif
I forgot it was on yesterday!!!!!!!!!
I will have to check the website to see when it's on again...........that's one good/bad thing about FN........they rerun everything 100 times!!!!!!!

Susan

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:33pm
post #45 of 67

I also thought that the Santa in the chmney looked like his butt was on fire! My daughter is 10, and she looked at me when we were watching Santa burning up and said "that's very disturbing."

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 3:59am
post #46 of 67
Quote:

Yeah, me too! But, they were pretty lovie dovie in the class I took.

Did you think he looked and sounded just like Alex on Grey's Anatomy? Spitting image.
They seem sweet together.

mndy204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mndy204 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:09am
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Quote:

I am SOOOO glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way!!!! When I saw that guy I was all.... icon_eek.gifparty.gif

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:16am
post #48 of 67

Did you happen to hear Bronwen's comment about "I love a guy with power tools" when he was putting things together in the back? She's the best!

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:15am
post #49 of 67

Deleting my double post oops.

Shelle_75 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:17am
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Did I miss something...I have to go back and read other posts on here...I wasn't implying she was a B** at all! And I agree with your comment that FN's editing is making her their "Simon". BUT - I have never seen or heard of her decorating under these same stringent limitations and requirements that FN challenges impose on these decorators. I agree...Judges Challenge! Maybe we should all send in a request to the FN powers that be to make it happen! icon_wink.gif

I wasn't implying she was a B** either. All I said was that I was getting weary of her and nothing ever seems to make her happy. Whether she's edited to look that way or not, that's how she looks to me. I, of course, am aware that she is a person that I am watching on television and not someone I know personally, so please take a pill. I didn't have my Kerry voodoo doll out poking it with pins while I was typing that.

Edited to say: I'm not replying to your post, cakesdivine, just using it as my jumping-off point, because I was the first one to say something about Kerry.

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:01am
post #51 of 67

I have to say though, even though I know they try to make the drama with the editing and Ive heard otherwise, Kerry Vincent gets on my nerves. She just seems so full of herself on there and some of the comments she makes really makes her look like a big biatch.

Shelle_75, I wasn't referring to your comments, so maybe YOU should take a pill! icon_razz.gif
It is hard to read so many negative comments about someone who has dedicated themselves to furthering the sugar arts without letting people know she's really very sweet and not what they make her out to be. So hey, lighten up!! icon_biggrin.gif

summernoelle Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:59am
post #52 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillychick

Shelle_75, I wasn't referring to your comments, so maybe YOU should take a pill! icon_razz.gif
It is hard to read so many negative comments about someone who has dedicated themselves to furthering the sugar arts without letting people know she's really very sweet and not what they make her out to be. So hey, lighten up!! icon_biggrin.gif

Ditto that. I think I'm the one Shelle was referring to. No need for a pill-all I said was that I met her in person, and she's great. Never said anything against you, or implied anything negative towards your comment, I just disagreed with you. thumbs_up.gif

Shelle_75 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:42pm
post #53 of 67

Sorry, I guess that the lighthearted-ness with which I was typing that did not come through over the computer.

In my family, "take a pill" is a jokey comment made to lighten up the situation when someone is overreacting to something you said, which I felt was the case with my very innocent comment about the judge, Kerry.

Sorry again.

Edited to say: I don't really know why this thread and the comments made here about what was said about someone NONE OF US really knows is bothering me so much. I was just sitting here thinking, though, that it seems that unless you are indydebi or chutzpah (both of whom I adore, by the way), it seems that you are not allowed to be sassy in your posts or say anything negative about anyone or anything without the claws coming out immediately.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:08pm
post #54 of 67

I would LOVE to see the judges do a challenge!!!

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:26pm
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Shelle-
What's funny about Kerry is that I think she's edited to look that way. She is the coordinator of OSSAS, and she is actual very...sweet! I've also emailed her a coupld of times, and she responds within minutes! How cool is that?

Folks....you can't edit what is not there. She might be kind in person with the students and all, but I have to admit that I find her terribly condescending and more than a little bit hateful. tapedshut.gif I wonder if this is a dichotomy between the amateurs like us and the pros with whom she feels she has to compete with on some level? If so...lighten up girl!

And who refers to themselves as a "Hall of Fame" sugar artist?? icon_eek.gif

Laurie Ditunno is really sweet...glad she got her own shop. I too wish she would have had a chance to practice the sugar globe. She would have found out quickly that some kind of support system would have been necessary. She is quite talented and also is very kind via email and such!

My two cents!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 8:07pm
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

I was just sitting here thinking, though, that it seems that unless you are indydebi or chutzpah (both of whom I adore, by the way), it seems that you are not allowed to be sassy in your posts or say anything negative about anyone or anything without the claws coming out immediately.

I'm an Indydebi/chutzpah in training some days.

I guess you could say I look to them as mentors in a few different ways. thumbs_up.gif

Shelle_75 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:16am
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

I'm an Indydebi/chutzpah in training some days.

I guess you could say I look to them as mentors in a few different ways. thumbs_up.gif

thumbs_up.gif

summernoelle Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:02am
post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

I don't really know why this thread and the comments made here about what was said about someone NONE OF US really knows is bothering me so much. I was just sitting here thinking, though, that it seems that unless you are indydebi or chutzpah (both of whom I adore, by the way), it seems that you are not allowed to be sassy in your posts or say anything negative about anyone or anything without the claws coming out immediately.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif SO true! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:02pm
post #59 of 67

I know this has been said before about the cake challenges, but I'd like to repeat it...Why don't they do a challenge where there's no fondant or gumpaste, only icing and piping bags allowed? I think that would be interesting, and it would probably throw a lot of these constant competitors off a LOT. I know it would throw me off because I do a lot of fondant and gumpaste, so making a large display cake with only piping would really be a challenge.

Shelle_75 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:51pm
post #60 of 67

I know I saw a competition long ago on Food Network, it was maybe all wedding cakes or something, where the contestants brought in already finished work, and during the competition they had a challenge where the decorator drew one tip out of a bag and had to decorate a cake with it. Bronwyn Webber won (of course!), she used scotch tape to modify the tip (which was within the rules, I guess) and made a pretty little cake with a "B" on it or something like that.

This was back before they started having "Challenge" shows just for the sake of giving someone $10,000 and some insults. I'm sure someone else here knows the exact name of the show it was on, but I can't remember it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%