Large Cake Order

Decorating By Wesha Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 1:03am by BakeLoveMom

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 12:49am
post #1 of 4

Hi guys,

I need some advice. I have a large cake order for 63 8in round cakes due on December 12th. Can I start baking as soon as tomorrow? I saw a few topics on advanced baking here but they did not go that detail as far as freezing. I was going to put them in my freezer and then thaw them out a few days in advance. How do I wrap them to keep them from being freezer burnt and how do I thaw them out? Do I just thaw them out on the counter still wrapped? Please help me.

thanks

Wesha

3 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 12:54am
post #2 of 4

I wrap my cakes in Saran, then heavy duty foil, then freeze them. I take them out and crumb coat them while they're partially still frozen. I find them easier to handle that way when they're large cakes. That won't be an issue with all those 8 inch cakes you're doing. Yikes...that's a whole lotta cakes! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Jodie

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 1:00am
post #3 of 4

Yes you can start baking now. Each layer of cake must be wrapped well in plastic wrap then put into a ziploc bag as soon as they are lukewarm & fzn.
Remove the night before you want to work on them.
If it is more convient you can fill & stack into tiers *if the filling used can be fzn*.
Wrap the same as above. In this case you will have to wait until the a almost completely cooled. What I usually did was bake at night; wrap loosely in giant food-safe plastic bags then in the a.m. fill crumb coat wrap well & fz.
Are you using a dedicated fzr? (Only used for cake?) If not you need to put the cakes into a tubberwear like container so they don't get smashed accidently which can easily happen.
Yes, to thaw do as you said.

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 1:03am
post #4 of 4

I just want to know what all these cakes are for???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%