Hand Washing Dishes, What Is Proper Food Safety Procedure?

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 9:28am by Mike1394

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:07am
post #1 of 14

I usually wash my bowls and utensils in the dishwasher, but sometimes I need to handwash them so I can use them again right away. I always wash them in very hot soapy water and scrub with a paper towel, not a sponge, but I know there are requirements for food establishments, will someone who knows please share? Thanks!

13 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:17am
post #2 of 14

So what's the ? If you wash your dishes like you do it's fine I wouldn't use a paper towel but a disposable dish cloth or just a regular dish cloth. I've worked in food service and we didn't use anything special.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:18am
post #3 of 14

When I had my restaurant it was required to have a 3 compartment sink. One compartment for washing in hot soapy water, one for rinsing in running water and one for sanitizing by soaking in a solution of bleach and hot water, then air drying.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:25am
post #4 of 14

Even if you are washing them in the dishwasher, you need to soak them in a bleach and water solution and let them dry. That would be proper procedure. Industrial dishwashers sanitize the dishes when they wash and dry them.. home units don't.. unless you have a sanitation cycle, but thet can take a long time.

This is what my inspector told me when I got inspected for my license.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:35am
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the info!

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:40am
post #6 of 14

I am wondering what is the percentage of bleach solution?

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:43am
post #7 of 14

Seems like we used 1 capful per gallon. we used some test strips to check the concentration.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:26am
post #8 of 14

It only takes a very, very small amount of bleach per gallon. One capful was enough to something like 3-5 gallons.
If you can smell the bleach on the dish when you take it out of the water it is too much!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:36am
post #9 of 14
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 3:52am
post #10 of 14

You should get the chlorine test strips.. they are super cheap and you will be able to know for sure how much bleach you need. It is a small amount.. about 1 TBSP per 3 gallons of water. You are looking for about 10 ppm (parts per million) of chlorine in your water.. and the water doesn't need to be hot (or even warm).

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:01am
post #11 of 14

In NC the requirement is a 3 compartment sink (dishwashing, rinsing & sanitizing). At school, we don't dry anything, it is all air dried then put away. And we wash EVERYTHING by hand. Just an FYI!
Leslie

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:34pm
post #12 of 14

I'm in Texas and yes, you can hand-wash but you do need a 3-compartment sink. Rinse, wash, santize and air-dry; however, I do towel-dry if I need it right away. And we did when I worked at a small restaurant.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:52am
post #13 of 14

You don't rinse the bleach solution off after?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 9:28am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

You don't rinse the bleach solution off after?

No the bleach dissapates when dry. Personally I think it's safer than the chemical sanitizers.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%