I Can Already See The Writing On The Wall With This Bride!

Business By cakesdivine Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 5:42pm by CoutureCake

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 12:30am
post #1 of 9

I, a local caterer, and a bridal consultant are the 3 powers that be for a local venue just up the street from me. Well they send me so much business that I tend to just deal with whatever they send my way. Well there is this one bride that contacted the caterer about a month ago to set up a sampling then called me to do the same, only problem is she never actually set up the date, she told the caterer and me that she didn't know when she would be able to come to do the samplings (she lives 200 miles away) She finally emailed the caterer a few days ago and said she wanted to do this on the 30th. Only problem is she never specified a time, nor did she let either the caterer or me know what menu items or cake flavors she wanted to sample. So after many phone calls and emails over the last few days to get specifics, neither one of us has heard from the bride! In my one conversation with this bride she told me she was too busy (yes her words and yes she contacted me) to really deal with anything right now so she would have to call me back to discuss her cake... I can already tell I am going to have to CMA big time with this gal. Document everything in quintuplet (one for her, one for me, one for each of my biz partners that this venue uses exclusively, and one for the venue manager) so she can't come back on me for anything! So I am baking a Fr. Vanilla, Dark Choc, Red Velvet, & Lemon cake for her to sample. Still have no idea what time to arrive at the venue (which the office is closed on weekends since it is an outdoor venue) icon_razz.gif

8 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 12:33am
post #2 of 9

Wow good luck with this PITA LOL

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 12:40am
post #3 of 9

The price for the cake might have just gone up.......PITA charge!

Good Luck.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:18am
post #4 of 9

I say good luck too!!!! Sounds like a PITA charge just got added.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:19am
post #5 of 9

I'm betting you have this one pegged right! Can't wait to hear the next chapter of this story!

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:05am
post #6 of 9

I would not sweat it...if she wants cake she will get with you.

I have told my brides before regarding final payment...."I had cake at my wedding because my darling mother wrote the check for it...you will have cake IF you write the check. Otherwise...I will not be making the cake"....and I smile so charmingly when I say it.

Same with this girl...tell her so charmingly that you have a deadline of xyz for design and flavors. After that date she will get what she gets and it will be too late to make any additional changes.

LOL some people can be such PILLS.

babycakes982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes982 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 5:47am
post #7 of 9

Cut her loose! Trust me on this. Been there done that. Made the cake - I did everything perfect - yet bride was not happy from day one - lived far away - too busy - sent me a dozen books of what she liked - couldn't make her mind up - and when she finally did - still wasn't happy with results and is now taking me to court. You will loose so much time that it won't be worth what ever you are charging!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 9

I wish that I could cut her loose but I am the dedicated decorator for this venue. They only allow me to do the cakes for their events, and I don't want to hurt my relationship with the venue over one stupid, inconsiderate bride.

And I'm not worried about getting paid, she will have to give me my booking deposit today. Her wedding isn't until August 09 so not really worried about that. I just have a funny feeling that she is going to be one of those brides that says she wants one thing, changes her mind a million times before the event then says the cake isn't how she wanted it, hence the CMA comment icon_wink.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 9

Yes, I agree with the others that the PITA charge is justified here...

Some people's kids... OTOH, she is 200 miles away and it's not exactly easy to set appointments being that far away (I do a lot of stuff back by my parents and have had this situation lots of times...), OTOH, if it was something like that I'd be sure to have a day-of contact number if I'm running late or even early for that matter.

I think set a timetable with her... Since her wedding is summer 09, that you need to sit down with her by April to get the preliminary design determined along with counts, then need the final payment by X date or no cakey...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%