Question Re: Wasc...

Decorating By Rosie2 Updated 30 Nov 2008 , 7:29am by Rosie2

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 2:50am
post #1 of 10

Hello to all, quick question. Does anyone know if you can half the recipe posted here for White Almond Sour Cream cake??
I want to make a small cake and I think the recipe is for a big cake...
If someone has done half the recipe please tell me...thank you!!

9 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 3:05am
post #2 of 10

If you are referring to the recipe in the recipe section the answer is yes. Half the recipe should make two 8" rounds.

I have used the original WASC recipe by kakeladi and she gave it to me as 1/2 the recipe. If you need it let me know and I can PM it to you or post it here. icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 3:45am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

If you are referring to the recipe in the recipe section the answer is yes. Half the recipe should make two 8" rounds.

I have used the original WASC recipe by kakeladi and she gave it to me as 1/2 the recipe. If you need it let me know and I can PM it to you or post it here. icon_smile.gif

Ahhh thank you very much xstitcher I would love the recipe if you don't mind. You can either pm or post it here, it'd be great!
I love this recipe! it's so easy to make and it comes out great.

Thank you again!

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:37am
post #4 of 10

I half the WASC recipe all the time and it comes out perfect.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:52am
post #5 of 10

Do you use a specific brand of white cake mix, I have not been able to find DH white cake mix for a couple of months now, are they not selling it anymore? icon_confused.gif Which brand is your favorite?

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:54am
post #6 of 10

I have had success halfing it... also 1/4 it. I will 1/4 the recipe (1/2 of the 1/2 recipe) for tastings.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 10

My *original* recipe does not need to be 1/2edicon_smile.gif

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi
1 box cake mix (I prefere Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire wisk, but optional. In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry/almond for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk or cream for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR one 8" & two 6" round; OR two 8" rounds; Or a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefere to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cupicon_smile.gif
Some have told me they use yogurt instead of sour cream; I have not tried that.

Rosie2 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 6:30am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoSweets

I half the WASC recipe all the time and it comes out perfect.

Thank you very much for your response

Rosie2 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 6:52am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Do you use a specific brand of white cake mix, I have not been able to find DH white cake mix for a couple of months now, are they not selling it anymore? icon_confused.gif Which brand is your favorite?

I used the Betty Crokers brand and it was very good and moist.

Rosie2 Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 7:29am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

My *original* recipe does not need to be 1/2edicon_smile.gif

Thank you sooo much Kakeladi, I used your recipe and it came out great, everyone loved it!!
Here I am posting a pic of the cake...I also thank Sooze for letting me copy her design and for helping me to make the teamplate.
Thank you very much to all of you!!

p.s. Now that I see the pic I can see that I didn't put the letters straight icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
Fortunately I don't sell any of my cakes...they're all free for friends and family icon_smile.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%