Square Cake Corners

Decorating By Chary Updated 28 Nov 2008 , 10:35pm by indydebi

Chary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chary Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 3:01am
post #1 of 5

I have never been able to get sharp square corners on my square cakes. It really bothers me when my cake starts rising from the middle leaving the cornes round in the top. Please help. Chary icon_sad.gif

4 replies
foxyjos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxyjos Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 3:23am
post #2 of 5

When I take my cakes out of the oven, if they are domed, I gently push down on the top with even pressure on a damp tea-towel, until the top is perfectly flat. It works really well, especially because I find levelling the top with a knife too messy. This makes for a flat top and perfect corners. Also, make sure you use the "bottom" of the cake as the "top"... i.e. flip over so the nice flat bottom and sharp corners are on the top when you go to decorate icon_biggrin.gif hope that helps!!

Chary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chary Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 3:53am
post #3 of 5

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 8:19am
post #4 of 5

What do your cake pans look like?

Not all square or rectangular cake pans have straight sides and sharp corners......

(If your pans can "nest" one inside another, your square pans DO NOT have straight corners...)

The Wilton Performance (square pan set and sheets) have rounded corners - the Wilton Decorator Preferred line-up has straight sides and sharp corners:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E310FED-475A-BAC0-511C881400174E77&killnav=1

Indydebi's method of frosting corners:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5396443-.html

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 5

Don't ice to the shape of the cake ... use the icing to shape the corners. This means you might have 1/2" of icing on top of one corner and 1" of icing on top of another corner, if your cakes didn't bake up nice and even.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%