Turkey Didn't Thaw Lol

Lounge By mellormom Updated 29 Nov 2008 , 8:20pm by cakelover25

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:00am
post #1 of 11

We took it out of the freezer on Monday morning and tonight when I went to check on it.... It was frozen solid. So now I have a turkey in my sink with cold water trying to thaw it in time. icon_lol.gif That was my only job also. I was just keeping it for my MIL who is going to cook it. Well I guess we know I won't ever be making turkey dinner! LOL
I guess I'll stick to cakes! icon_biggrin.gif
Jen...

10 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:33am
post #2 of 11

Hang in there Jen.!!! icon_biggrin.gif

It could be worse, you could be the one to cook the turkey and it turns out to be dry.. icon_wink.gif (let her eat that one.) LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Donna

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:41am
post #3 of 11

I had the opposite happen...mil was going to keep the turkey in her fridge since ours was full, and we were going to smoke it. So we go a couple of days before Thanksgiving and buy a fresh turkey and take it to her house. DH sits it on the kitchen counter and left. When we go to get it, she had put it in the FREEZER!!! The thing was frozen solid and we didn't find out until Wed. night!! I don't know what in the world she was thinking, but since then we have made sure to have fridge room icon_wink.gif Hope it thaws for you!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:53am
post #4 of 11

I forgot to take my turkey out of the freezer, so I thought it would be no big deal to go buy a fresh one today. Boy, was I wrong! I went all over and none of the stores had them.

We are having Cornish game hens tomorrow. icon_biggrin.gif

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 6:29am
post #5 of 11

Great tip I learned just put your frozen turkey in some cold water and it will thaw. One year I scrubbed my tub and sanitized it with some bleach and soaked the turkey in there. It thawed in about 2 hours. GL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 11

I saw an episode of Alton Brown where he demonstrated how running code water will thaw things faster than soaking in warm water. I can't imagine my water bill if I'm running water to thaw a 25 lb turkey, though! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif (And anything smaller than a 25 pounder at our house is considered just a snack! We LOVE turkey! There's only 6 adults and 2 kids at our dinners and we rarely have turkey leftovers ... just enough for a few sandwiches the next day and that's it!)

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 11

I thought it was considered unsafe for let it thaw in a sink of water?

My kids are all excited about their own "little turkeys" today. No leftovers for us, though.

Have a great day, everyone!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 2:18pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

My kids are all excited about their own "little turkeys" today.

And that's how unique and wonderful thanksgiving traditions get started! Even if you never do this again, you have a thanksgiving story that will last for generations! thumbs_up.gif

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 11

[quote="michellenj"]I thought it was considered unsafe for let it thaw in a sink of water?

I believe as long as it is cold water it is o.k. You just need to watch the temp so it's not over 40 degrees or so. My Jenny-o turkey said to thaw the bird in cold water a half hour for every pound. It thawed nicely. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 2:21am
post #10 of 11

I did thaw it in cold water and it was fine. I ran the water over it to but not very fast. The running water does help. icon_smile.gif
I wasn't worried I just thought it was funny! icon_smile.gif
Happy Thanksgiving!
Jen...

cakelover25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover25 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 11

I have to say I actually remembered to take mine out of the freezer early enough for it to thaw this year!! Last year I was thawing it with the running water...

However, my hubby likes to deep fat fry the turkey so he's outside getting the oil going and everything else is almost done when he comes in and says he can't get the oil hot enough! I look at our 8 guests waiting
for dinner and sent hubby to the store for a couple of roast chickens.

I stuck the turkey in the oven, it's done about the time we're doing dishes so I have lots of left over turkey!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%