Mixer Problems

Decorating By Ballymena Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 5:29pm by SILVERCAT

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 6

I need a mixer and here's my story. First of all I have the professional Kitchen Aid mixer and love it even thought I wish it was the new one that lifts up and I wish it handled small batches. The problem is that I need one to take to the cake classes I teach and the Kitchen Aid is too heavy. I can't find a sturdy box to carry it in and I am afraid of dropping it and breaking it, or worse yet, breaking my foot if it lands there.
I have a Sunbeam that my parents bought me in 1974 and it still works like new but is too shabby looking to take to classes. In my quest for a new mixer I bought another sunbeam. Nice and light and easy to pack around. One problem...the motor died within one month. Back to the store and exchanged it, one problem...the speeds didn't work. It went from slow to fast with no variables in between and the fast actually threw the cake batter out of the bowl. Back to the store and got another one. This one worked for a bit but then...one problem, the motor heated up so much that the beaters got hot and heated up the bowl so it was hot to my hand. No wonder my royal icing wouldn't fluff up.
Now here is where I need your help. Obviously I'm not getting another Sunbeam so what do you suggest that is easy to transport, mixes small batches well, and doesn't cost as much as a Kitchen Aid. I can't seem to find one and am leery of trying brands I don't know.
Thanks for your input.

5 replies
dsimkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsimkovic Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know if I can be of much help, but I saw your topic way down the list with no replies so I thought I'd chime in. icon_smile.gif

If you're planning to buy a mixer just for your classes do you have somewhere you could lock it up there and just leave it? Then you don't have to worry about the weight of it.

I have a kitchenaid and I love it. I actually worry that my icings are too tough for my kitchenaid, sometimes. I couldn't imagine trying to use a "lesser mixer".

Have you checked to see if Kitchenaid offers something smaller/lighter, etc? Look on their website maybe. Since you know you like the brand, maybe you can find something through them that you can trust. I'm glad you said you're not getting another Sunbeam. That was going to be my first statement until I read your last paragraph. LOL LOL

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 6

Mixer problems i can understand. I bought a backup on ebay. I am a huge fan of the old oster kitchen centers. When was a teen and started to decorate i bought a 1980 model oster.I used it ever since. I think it makes the most wonderful fluffy icing. I bought a back up on ebay same make and model. they are not that heavy and they tilt up and have a big bowl. hope you find a mixer. good luck.

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 6

I can totally understand your dilemma. I don't know if there is a Kohl's where you live but they are having a sale on KitchenAid mixers. Since it is the holiday season and tomorrow is Black Friday, a lot of the department stores may have the KitchenAid on sale at a reasonable price. Here is the link to kohls. http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/landingpages/kitchenelectrics/mixers.jsp?bmForm=guided_nav_search&SubcatFolderID=2534374754008125

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:00am
post #5 of 6

I'm in Canada so no Kohls store. Has anyone ever had a Hamilton Beach? Sears has them on sale for a good price every once in a while

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 6

How about just buying a suit case that has wheels you pull behind you, like the small carry ons?! I have seen a few people do that. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%