"the Day Before" Preparations

Lounge By Carolynlovescake Updated 27 Nov 2008 , 12:11am by Carolynlovescake

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 17

I made a comment last night in the store while talking with a friend that I am doing as much prep work today as possible.

This is because spending an entire day in the kitchen cooking leaves in my horrible pain with my still recovering broken ankle from February.

I figured if I get everything put together today then it's that much less work I have to do tomorrow and time I can spend with my family and friends.

Another shopper stopped to get something off the shelf near us heard me say "I'm putting together as much as I can Wednesday like the mashed potatoes and casseroles" and looks over at me and says "niiiice so you'll technically be serving left overs to your family on Thursday buy cooking tomorrow to save time nothing will be fresh. How lovely!"

Now I'm kind of creeped out... I don't want to be serving them left overs! icon_surprised.gif

I know the OCD is kicking in over this now and I'm obsessing.

So how many of you are making things in advance today and what are you making? I don't want to feel like I'm the only one "cheating" or preping food today?

*wanders off to clean celery and cut it up into sticks*

16 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 17

The other shopper was rude and if that's how she talks to strangers, I wouldn't want her "fresh" food. Serving the second day is NOT leftovers. My family makes all kinds of things the day before because my mom wants to spend time with family.

Don't sweat it. icon_smile.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 17

That shopper was just rude and completely out of line. icon_evil.gif I wouldn't give her a second thought. My family prepares as much the day before as possible, so we can spend time together on Thanksgiving! All the pies are already baked and I doubt anyone is going to make a fuss because they're a day old. Geez. I'd rather be watching the parade, drinking eggnog and visiting with my fam than slaving away in the kitchen. Don't let her ignorant, unsolicited comments get to you. Have a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 17

Don't give that sour puss a second thought!!! The nosey shopper clearly needs to find holiday spirit.

LOTS of people do prep early! I make my pies the day before, as well as my sweet potato casserole, fresh cranberry sauce, and any other appetizers that will be just fine the next day. Then Thanksgiving is spent on the turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetables, gravy, biscuits, etc, etc, ETC!!! I have NEVER had one complaint from anyone about anything being, or tasting like, left overs. And believe me, I have a few family members who'd say it, too! icon_razz.gif

So, CarolynGwen, happy prepping! And I wish you and your family ~ and all of our CC friends ~ a very Happy Thanksgiving!!! icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 17

Frankly unless you are preparing a simple meal you have to do things ahead cause there is just not enough time and/or room for everything that needs to be cooked.

Here is my routine, if it helps:

I wash the good china, set the table the night before.
I wash the bird and season,
The stuffing is made today, the bird stuffed just before entering the oven.
The potatoes are pealed and washed ready to be put on the stove.
deviled eggs are done
desserts are done
veggie casserole is all ready to be placed in the oven.

So Tomorrow all i'll have to do, is roast the turkey, cook the potatoes and mash, make gravy and the biscuits (which are pillsbury).

You shouldn't be killing yourself over dinner you should be enjoying your family.

As far as the rude shopper, well, some people just need to be like that, and really don't deserve you stressing over.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 17

I can't believe anyone had the audacity to say something as stupid as that. If she actually doesn't even peel a potato beforehand...then she's just plum crazy. icon_lol.gif

To me, leftovers are the extras of a meal served the day before. You guys aren't eating the food tonight, you're just getting it ready. Don't you dare second guess yourself over some rude quack like that.

It's very smart to prepare the casseroles, bake ahead (don't we all do that anyway??), chop, slice, dice...whatever's going to make things easier for you tomorrow.

At her rate, she'll be eating on Friday.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 17

Who wants to get up at 3am to start cooking?

I won't be doing any of the hot items until tommorow but I'm making salads, pies, deviled eggs, etc today. I don't know ANYONE who doesn't spend at least part of the day before the holiday cooking if they're serving a meal.

I'm wondering how much this woman actually cooks and how much she buys prepared.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 17

What a scrooge!

The only thing we prepare "fresh" on Thanksgiving Day are the mashed potatoes, baking the rolls (obviously LOL), frying the turkey, and baking the honey-glazed ham. All of the casseroles and the dressing are assembled a day or two before and baked on Thanksgiving. All of the pies are made & baked a day or two before TG as well. We do everything from scratch except for buying dinner rolls in dough form. I'm taking a break right now and letting the steamed broccoli cool so I can assemble the broccoli-cheese casserole. Heck, my mom roasts a turkey a week BEFORE Thanksgiving to get the drippings in order to prepare the turkey gravy. There is absolutely no way we could ever do everything the day of.

I've never considered actually baking the casseroles in advance, though. That would kinda seem like serving leftovers....although seriously, Thanksgiving food is much much better the day after Thanksgiving anyway! icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 17

OMG you should've asked her if she would like her ankle broken. LOLOL

Leftovers????? I think it's great planning on your part.

Mike

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 17

She sounds like a nut. Just do what you do and have a great day! She probably goes to a restaurant every year, or buys a meal at Boston Market or something.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 17

I'll make all my pies tonight, plus fresh cranberry sauce and lemonaid. I might go ahead and make the dough for the rolls, but I'll bake those tomorrow... Tomorrow will be busy enough that I can't imagine trying to get Everything done on one day!

Happy Thanksgiving icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 9:55pm
post #12 of 17

Dang, I'm impressed! LOL, my husband tried to make fresh cranberry sauce once and it was so tart my jaw was locked for a week! That's the only thing that we use right out of the can. Nothing says Thanksgiving like those can-shaped slices of Ocean Spray cranberry sauce! icon_lol.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 10:15pm
post #13 of 17

I never use the word 'leftovers'....they are PLANNED=overs! cook once serve twice or more for that matter! Right now I have 2 turkeys, 2 pork loins, pork ribs, chicken outside in the smoker! No sense in running it with only one thing in it! Daughter will make a 'regular' turkey tomorrow complete with in the bird stuffing! Will finish up the pies in the morning....finish up the candied yams and mashed potatoes just before dinner....and then get ready for Granddaughters wedding on Friday! YES...I'm making the cake and all the food for Friday too! and I've already started on that food too! And I'm not calling it leftovers! PLANNEDovers! heheheh Planning ahead is SMART and the only way to go so you can enjoy the events as well!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 11:41pm
post #14 of 17

She was a rude "B". She's probably like the one story I read here on CC about the lady who wouldn't eat any of the multi-tiered birthday cake, "Because it's not FRESH!! It's been sitting on the table more than 4 hours!" (Snobby B*tch!)

I'm a caterer. I cook food for a living. I have a very busy month and do not have time to cook for free. So we are having our dinner catered by Bob Evans Restaurant! They have a great package that will feed our entire family for $75 ... and no work for us!. My daughter picked up the entire meal today at 1:00. It comes with re-heating instructions. Did I mention there is NO WORK for me!?

So this woman should be oh so glad she's not having dinner with us! I guess you can make the whole dinner in one day if you're only feeding 2 or 3 people.

Ignore her ... she will be tired and achy and miserable on this holiday instead of grateful and happy that she has her entire family around her ... her family will be in the other room, while she's working her butt off in the kitchen!

(Pssst! Did I mention how our dinner is NO WORK for me! wooo-whooooo!)

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 11:44pm
post #15 of 17

I got a recipe from a Grange lady years ago for Holiday Mashed Potatoes and they're the only way to go. Delicious and easy. Besides, I need that pan for the noodles!!!
Mash the potatoes (about 9 large), add 6 oz cream cheese, 1 cup sour cream, 2 T butter, a sprinkle of onion powder, salt, pepper. Mash until smooth and completely mixed. Butter a casserole dish, put the taters in, dot with butter, cover and refrigerate. Heat in the oven about 35 minutes. These are delicious!

Cakepro Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 12:09am
post #16 of 17

pbeckwith, that recipe sounds delish! Sounds like serious comfort food and I'm adding it to my recipe collection right now. Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Regarding cooking = work...in our family, this is one of the highlights of the year. Cooking for us is a labor of love that is deeply steeped in family tradition that goes back three generations (well, four generations now that my teenagers are helping to prepare dishes). I wouldn't trade one single second in the kitchen using my grandparents' recipes for ANYTHING in the world. All of my grandparents are gone now, but these rituals very much reconnect us with them through memories, and now we are building these memories for my children and my sister's children with our parents. The preparation of the Thanksgiving and Christmas meals is treasured. In our family, the party's always in the kitchen anyway. icon_smile.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 12:11am
post #17 of 17

Thanks all for helping set me straight. The lady was a complete kook as it was.

I have a sour cream/veggie/cheddar cheese dip done and calling to me from the fridge.

The green bean casserole is assembled (minus the onions on top) and will be cooked tomorrow.

The celery is cut and ready for the canned cheese to go on it. The veggies for the tray are all cut and bagged.

I forgot that hubby took my van to work today so I am going to be 5 hours late in picking up the pies. icon_confused.gif

He's on his way home with a baby gate for our large opening that leads into the kitchen. Last year the baby was only 6 months and immobile. Now she's almost 19 months and loves getting into the kitchen when we aren't looking. It scares the crud out of me so I told hubby he could take the van but he had to come home with the gate other wise he had to take his car. He's also getting a new filter for the fridge so we'll have cold water and ice cubes again for our guests.

I think we are getting pizza for dinner because I'm not about to cook another darn thing until tomorrow.

I have to say that my ankle is killing me right now. I have my brace on and my extra padded slippers and it's still letting me know it's time to sit down. The problem is if I sit any longer than necessary I'll never get back up again tonight... except to get my pies when hubby gets home. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%