Getting Tiers Exactly 4 Inchs Tall For Sps

Decorating By Henna20 Updated 26 Nov 2008 , 3:55am by leah_s

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:31am
post #1 of 8

For those of you who are able to get the perfect 4 inch high tiers - how do I do that?? I tried cutting each layer to the perfect 7/8 inch tall but after all the filling and icing it ended up being too short. Whats the secret?

7 replies
lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:40am
post #2 of 8

I wish I had an answer for you! I have a difficult time with this also, but I haven't tried the SPS system yet.

I am gonna bump this for you, hopefully someone can help.

Good Luck

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:41am
post #3 of 8

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

Leahs breaks it down for all of us with SPS questions here.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:43am
post #4 of 8

I have seen pillars for the sps that can be cut to size, if that helps. Then your cake can be whatever height you want.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:49am
post #5 of 8

Don't know what to say other than your cake settled quite a bit. I use 4, 7/8" tall layers and about 1/4" of filling, plus the icing on the top. That allows for some settling and I'm still at 4" or close. It doesn't have to be exact, just close. I do cut with an Agbay, so the 7/8" is precise and I measure the filling amount with a portion scoop so that I get the same amount of filling between the layers. Just be sure to take those collars off (for a stacked cake) and the legs should allow for a little leeway around the 4".

post #6 of 8

Don't know what to say other than your cake settled quite a bit. I use 4, 7/8" tall layers and about 1/4" of filling, plus the icing on the top. That allows for some settling and I'm still at 4" or close. It doesn't have to be exact, just close. I do cut with an Agbay, so the 7/8" is precise and I measure the filling amount with a portion scoop so that I get the same amount of filling between the layers. Just be sure to take those collars off (for a stacked cake) and the legs should allow for a little leeway around the 4".

post #7 of 8

leah_s Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:55am
post #8 of 8

sorry, CC is acting weird for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%