Omg, I Need Your Help!!! Fallen Cake (Long!!)

Decorating By abruntz Updated 25 Nov 2008 , 12:12am by jamhays

abruntz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abruntz Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, ok so on Saturday I did a set up of a wedding cake. This was a design that could have been very uneasy and I did tell the customer that they had to be careful with the cake (like you do with all right?) So anyways I set up everything is fine perfect! I take my picture The groom saw it said it look awesome so I was out of there. On to my next delivery (last of the day) I get a call from an unknown number while I am setting up nearly 3 hours later. The grooms mom calls and leaves me a message that the cake was falling and they needed me to stop back by and help them fix it please call her back so I did I called her back 3 x's with no return phone call. Then the night went on no phone call the next day no phone call I think all is well. NO guess what she is calling today I am freaking out wondering what the hell she is going to want?
Oh and did I mention that they set up the cake right next to the DJ?? on a stage and to boot he was stomping up and down the stairs so bad that it made the cake table vibrate? UGG Please help I need suggestions before I call her back.

Oh and she did sign a contract and it does say that I am not responsible for the cake once the setup is complete and I leave the premises . Plus my sister in law was with me at the set up also so I do have a witness..
Thanks for your help in advance.

5 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 6

I feel for you. Cakes and DJs don't mix. You should always warn your couples about setting up cakes next to the speakers!

I would have moved the cake table.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 6

You are just going to have to find out what they want from you at this point. Keep your contract & pix handy.
the only thing I would have done is gone by there asap after the call. They did say what the wanted so you should have gone there to see if you could fix it.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 6

Sorry this happened, but leaving a cake near the dj was probably the issue. If your contract says you're not responsible for where the cake is set up then it's not your fault but I won't have put it there to begin with.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 6

Sorry this happened, but leaving a cake near the dj was probably the issue. If your contract says you're not responsible for where the cake is set up then it's not your fault but I won't have put it there to begin with.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 12:12am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

You are just going to have to find out what they want from you at this point. Keep your contract & pix handy.
the only thing I would have done is gone by there asap after the call. They did say what the wanted so you should have gone there to see if you could fix it.

I agree. When you finished the last stop of the day, you should have gone back to check on it. Even if it had already fallen...at least you made an appearance. As it is, it kinda looks like you ignored them. JMHO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%