Mmf And Mff Users- Help!

Decorating By diane706 Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 2:56pm by AllyCake90

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 19

I'm having continuous issues using BOTH mmf and mff. I'm getting pits and tiny bubbles that just wont go away no matter how much ps and Crisco I use. I've tried using different methods to roll it out including using vinal, ps, cornstarch and Crisco on the table but nothing seems to help this problem. I would like to continue using one or the other (I really love the taste of mff) because it's much less expensive than purchasing Satin Ice etc. I cringe at the thought of Wilton fondant but love, love, love the way it handles!! Does anyone have any clues to what might be the problem and what I might add to the fondant so this doesn't happen anymore? TIA. I love CC! icon_biggrin.gif

18 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 19

I wish I could help you, but I've never had that problem with MMF. What recipe do you use? I recommend the one at: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

I know a lot of people mix theirs up in a KA, and I did that once...never again. Putting your hands into it, and making sure you sift your PS really helps avoid this, I think. HTH

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 19

Just thought of something...the pits may be caused by hard pellets of powdered sugar. Sift sift sift!

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 19

I agree hands in and sift away!! Hope it all works out for ya...

Christina

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 19

I think it's probably the PS too. I even sift the one that comes in the plastic bag, even though some people say you don't have to.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 19

Diane706:
I normally make my fondant from scratch. It ocurred to me, don't know why, to try try mmf for a drum set that was ordered (in my pics). I will tell you I had the most hellish time working with it. Never again if i can help it will I work with mmf. here's the recipe I use. I love the taste and how it handles. Hope you can try it and that it works for you.

Recipe For Rolled Fondant

If you want to make your fondant from scratch, here is the recipe!
1 Tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup Glucose
1 Tablespoon Glycerin
2 Tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
2 lbs. sifted confectioners' sugar
Color and flavor as desired.

Combine gelatin and cold water; let stand until thick. Place gelatin mixture in top of double boiler and heat until dissolved. Add glucose and glycerin, mix well. Stir in shortening and just before completely melted, remove from heat, add flavoring and color. Mixture should cool until lukewarm.

Next, place 1 lb. confectioners' sugar in a bowl and make a well. Pour the lukewarm gelatin mixture into the well and stir with a wooden spoon, mixing in sugar and adding more, a little at a time, until stickiness disappears. Knead in remaining sugar.

Knead until the fondant is smooth, pliable and does not stick to your hands. If fondant is too soft, add more sugar; if too stiff, add water (a drop at a time). Use fondant immediately or store in airtight container in a cool, dry place.

Do not refrigerate or freeze. When ready to use, bring to room temperature and knead again until soft. This recipe yields
enough to cover a 10 x 4 in. high cake.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 19

You guys are great!! Thanks for all of your advice. Jamie85364, that is the mmf recipe I've used along with some other versions. Also, I do sift!! icon_cry.gif I mix it initially in my mixer then turn it out onto my counter which is greased with Crisco to mix in the rest of the ps. Jobueno, thanks for taking the time to post that recipe. It seems a lot like Michele Foster's Fondant (mff). Have you tried that recipe and how is it different from your recipe? Thanks everybody!

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 19

I've not tried Michele's since I'm afraid to stray away from my scratch recipe anymore. Once it's done there really is not fixing it and I'm not very fond of waste, but I guess I can brave it and give it a try.

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 19

I love my MMF, I had to learn the hard way, as I'm sure most of us do, to use hands as much as possible. I start out in the KA on low, after adding about half of the ps, I get it out on the greased counter. Then with a bench scraper in one hand, I knead in the rest of the ps. So I scrap up with the left...knead with the right, scrap up...knead. When it is still a little sticky I wrap it in a greased plastic and put it in a big ole baggie. Let it rest, and when you start to work with it, crisco for pliability...ps for rolling.

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 19

I just realized I have over 100 posts!!!!!!!!!!1

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 19

Hi there. One day I was having the exact same trouble with pitting, and I was hating it. Then I added a bit more PS. It was a bit better, so I added more, until there were no more pits. It could be that your fondant is too soft.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm
post #12 of 19

Last time I tried it in the mixer, I broke it. I really htink it's faster and you have to wash less things if you just need it by hand. It's quicker and you can feel it, the texture and elasticity when you knead. You shouldn't have to knead for no more than 5 min if you do it right.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 19

Im not sure why anyone would bother making MMF in a machine. I can do a whole lot in less than five minutes. Someone here posted some photos of doing it the "no mess way" which is basically just to melt the marshmallows in a bowl that has been greased up with crisco, grease up a long spatula and your hands, dump in all the sugar, mix mix for a few seconds until it begins to form a ball, and then get in there with your hands for another minute or two. I have only had this fail on me once in humid weather.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 1:18am
post #14 of 19

I also have a question about MMF.(sorry not trying to hijack post)I made my first batch tonight and it seemed to have turned out good(so far)it still seemed a little warm when I wrapped it up and stuck it in a ziplock bag,will that affect it in any way,with it still being a little warm?

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 1:19am
post #15 of 19

I also have a question about MMF.(sorry not trying to hijack post)I made my first batch tonight and it seemed to have turned out good(so far)it still seemed a little warm when I wrapped it up and stuck it in a ziplock bag,will that affect it in any way,with it still being a little warm?

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:57pm
post #16 of 19

Gona r tt recipe today!

AllyCake90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyCake90 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:35pm
post #17 of 19

I am an avid user of MMF...don't ask me why, I guess I just like to make it? (and maybe sneak in a couple of tastes...) lol
Now I'm going out on a limb here, but I believe that the pockets were caused by the mixer (mixer=excess air=air pockets in fondant)
I have never had any issues with the recipe that I use. All you need is a bag of mini marshmallows, 2 1bs of confectioners sugar, 2 teaspoons water, and some vegetable shortening. And your hands, lol
Now...throw the mallows and water into a microwave-safe bowl, stick it in the microwave and melt. [be careful...marshmallows like to overflow...lol] Then, grease, grease, grease!! Grease your hands, your work surface, and your spatula with the shortening. Sift your powdered sugar and make sure that no stray "balls" of it get away...it will give you terrible white spots in your fondant otherwise.
Place 4 cups into the bowl of the melted MM/water and stir with a spatula (you don't need to be precise, just make sure that you get it fairly well combined) Then, dump it out onto your GREASED counter and throw some of the remaining 4 cups of Confectioner's sugar on there, kneading with GREASED hands. Knead in all of the confectioner's sugar, working the fondant until it is nice and firm.
now you can use it right away or throw some shortening over it, wrap it in plastic, and stick it in the fridge.
It's not a ridiculous mess, and once you get the hang of it, it's kind of fun. If your counter is a mess, just use a scraper (I don't know what they're called...) to clean it up. icon_smile.gif

kokopuff--I've done that many a time and it has never given me any problems icon_smile.gif lol Just make sure that when you get ready to use it that you bring it to room temperature first, otherwise it will be cold & it will inevitably crack when you roll it out.

tiffatk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffatk Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:49pm
post #18 of 19

I am new to this cake decorating and I love the cake cental website, but what does MMF mean?

AllyCake90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyCake90 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:56pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff79

I am new to this cake decorating and I love the cake cental website, but what does MMF mean?

Welcome!
It means
"Marshmallow Fondant" icon_smile.gif
see my above post for the recipe if your interested. It tastes a lot better than normal fondant, lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%