Tres Leches - Am I Getting This Right???

Decorating By AZCakeGirl Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 4:33pm by adonisthegreek1

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, I've needed to learn how to make a Tres Leches cake so have looked at a few recipes. Am I getting this right?????............

All I do is make my regular vanilla cake, after it cools, poke some holes in the cake, pour the 3 types of milk over it, let it soak & then frost with whipped cream?

That seems too easy, I thought there would be more to it. Do I really have it right??? Please let me know if I am missing anything here. thanks! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 6

Seems like it. I had TL cake in SantaFe, at a very upscale restaurant and couldn't figure out why people rave about it. Mushy, wet cake. blargh.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah, I actually bought one the other day just so I could see what it was supposed to be like since I had never had one before. I didn't see what the big deal was either. However I have a regular client whom I do several cakes for a year at all the events she puts on. She is throwing a birthday party for someone who loves Tres Leches & asked if I could try to make her one. I told her that I've never done it before but would experiment to see what we can come up with. I just figured that it would be a lot more involved. This is EASY, I don't even have to change my regular recipe, just add the milk! Thanks for your help!

BitsnBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 6

I don't know about that recipe. I actually don't think it would taste good at all. It would be too sweet and soggy. But I am from mexico and the recipe I use (I made one yesterday) is:
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 c sugar
8 eggs
1/3 c milk

separate eggs, mix yolks and sugar, then add flour and baking powder. Beat egg whites. Fold one into the other. Bake

Mix 1 can of condensed milk, 1 can evaporated milk and 1 cup heavy and vanilla cream. When cake is done poke holes on through the cake. then add liquid when cake is still kinda warm. Let sit for min 12 hours. You could also get a large syringe and inject the liquid in the cake. Its faster and you can guarantee the liquid gets into most places that id didn't just by letting it absorb. I would do both.

To frost it the original recipe is:
2 egg whites
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 c very hot water
2 Tbs corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
6 gropes of lemon juice

Beat everything (except vanilla and lemon juice) in a double broiler till fluffy. Remove from heat and beat vanilla an lemon juice.

I guess whipped cream is easier and would taste great. Plus it is easier to decorate with.

I hope this helps. Good luck and post pics of the final cake icon_biggrin.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 6

As far as the frosting goes, what about using this frosting for it? It is the same consistency of whipped cream and tastes similar to twinkie filling. Has anyone used this on a tres leches cake?

Edited to ad the recipe! icon_lol.gif

1 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup crisco

Cook flour, salt, and milk until thick like white sauce. Let cool.
Cream together sugar and shortening till light and fluffy.
Add cooled sauce and vanilla. Beat till stiff.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 6

Here's the two recipes that I use. I find myself using Alton Brown's recipe more than Emeril's. Everyone raves about this cake.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tres-leche-cake-recipe/index.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/tres-leches-three-milks-cake-latin-america-recipe/index.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%