Someone Please Help! Pumpkin Pies, And Lots Of It

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 9:23pm by KHalstead

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:38am
post #1 of 11

I have someone who is wanting me to make 250 2" square pieces of pumpkin pie. He said the bakery he use to get them from has closed and wants to know what I would charge to do it. He said that the other bakery would bake them in sheets and then cut them into pieces (and she charged $25 per sheet). How do I bake them in sheets? what size sheets? I would think that I would have a problem rolling out a piece of pie crust large enough to fit into a sheet pan, would I do multiple pieces and then just press them together in the bottom? Any help would be great I have to have an answer back to him by first thing in the morning, he needs them in 2 days icon_eek.gif

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:54am
post #2 of 11

...... think that I would have a problem rolling out a piece of pie crust large enough to fit into a sheet pan.....

Have you ever covered a large cake w/fondant? Using pastry is exactly the same. I can see it a possibility.
Once the pan is lined w/crust, just pour in the filling & bake.
My suggestion is to make 12x16 or 12x18 sheets - I wouldn't do anything bigger - besides most home ovens won't hold anything biggericon_smile.gif
I think I'd try making one 12x8 to start - just to get an idea of how much time it takes; how much filling used etc.
Hope these suggestions help some.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:05am
post #3 of 11

I would roll it out on parchment, then it's just a matter of lifting it into the sheet pan, and I wouldn't bother putting crust up the sides either, just on the bottom! Shouldn't be too difficult.......I've made cheesecake like this before and then cut into squares and drizzled chocolate over them..mmmmmmm

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:14am
post #4 of 11

should I leave the crust on the parchment paper? If I don't do a crust up the sides of the pan (which I have no problem not doing that haha) would I have a problem with the pumpkin filling sticking to the sides of the pan? Like I said he had another bakery that charged him $25 per sheet of pie - I have a commercial bakery so I have a large oven and all of my pans are full size, I don't think I have a problem with using the full size pans but seems like $25 per sheet is a little cheap. I have no idea what size her sheets were so she could have been doing the 10 where after measuring my pans I would only have to do 3

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:24am
post #5 of 11

Was the bakery possibly using something like this?

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_BE6250

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 2:12am
post #6 of 11

I've been to dinners lots of times where they served sheet pumpkin pie. If the side of the pan is sprayed it shouldn't stick much if any. Why do people feel the need to mention what the previous bake charged?? Obviously it's because they hope to heaven you won't charge more. Guess he'll pay your price or do it himself. It seems to me he might have gotten on this a bit sooner than two days before it's needed. I wish you the best and a Happy Thanksgiving.
Carol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:08am
post #7 of 11

I haven't priced ingredients for pumpkin pies but if you have any idea what that might be give him a quote - I'm thinking it should be no less than $30 - after all food prices have increased greatly recently!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:23am
post #8 of 11

What a great idea! I'm going to suggest that my daughter's preschool do this next year for their Thanksgiving Party. They have someone make about 30 pies! Thankfully this year they split it up between a few people. I might try it in a small sheet pan just for a test run.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 10:04am
post #9 of 11

If you put any decoration on top at all. Your looking at 1.00 per piece WITHOUT decoration.

Mike

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 10:04am
post #10 of 11

If you put any decoration on top at all. Your looking at 1.00 per piece WITHOUT decoration.

Mike

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 11

for 25.00 a sheet I would imagine she's using a standard 1/2 sheet pan!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%