So Frustrated!!!!!

Decorating By sugarwishes Updated 23 Nov 2008 , 11:13pm by mandysue

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 2:57am
post #1 of 7

I am doing a baby shower cake for a friend I work. The shower is tomorrow. She only told me the colors of the shower are blue, silver and white, and I can do whatever I want for the cake.
So I decide since its only about 15 people, I am just doing a round 10" yellow cake with cookies & cream filling. I wanted to try out the rolled buttercream on the cake since everyone usually hates fondant I thought it would taste better and come out the same. I couldn't be more wrong!!! icon_mad.gif The rolled buttercream was a disaster to cover the cake!!!! It was cracking all over the place, bubbles everywhere and impossible to smooth the sides out. At this point I'm so frustrated. Its 10pm and I have new cakes in the oven. icon_cry.gif I have to start all over.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 3:19am
post #2 of 7

Oh hon, soooooo sorry you are having such a time of it.
That is one reason rolled b'cream is not a popular icing.
I have the original recipe as divised by a lady named Charlotte Collins w-a-y back in the 50's(?).
It also is one of the reasons I stayed w/(straight) b'cream for most of my decoratingicon_smile.gif
Hope that's what you are doing. Just use the fondant for accents. Makes a pretty cake that tastes good (IMHO).

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 3:55am
post #3 of 7

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your trouble. I agree with Kakeladie! Stick with a buttercream icing and use fondant as accents. It will be beautiful! Hang in there!

sugarwishes Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 4:20am
post #4 of 7

Thank you guys so much! I just whipped up so regular buttercream and got my fondant ready for accents. I'm just waiting for the cakes to cool and then I'm ready to go.
I think that I am stressing way too much about this cake. It's my first real cake that I'm making for someone other than my family. I just hope nothing else goes wrong. LoL

sugarwishes Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 4:53am
post #5 of 7

Edited: Duplicate Post

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 7

How're you doing? You'll be fine I'm sure, just take your time. I love the cake you made for practice with your name on it! It's beautiful!

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 7

Hope all turned out for you. In the future, you might want to try to work with marshmallow fondant (MMF). It's really easy to make and pretty yummy. My daughter was begging to eat it straight! You can find the recipe on here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%