Chocolate Chip Cake Failure

Decorating By LK322 Updated 25 Nov 2008 , 7:16pm by johnson6ofus

LK322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LK322 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 5

I have been trying to make a chocolate chip cake by adding chips to my buttercake batter. The chips keep falling to the bottom in the oven and are not evenly distributed.
Any ideas on how to make a chocolate chip cake with duncan hines batters? Help!!

4 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 5

Try tossing them with a little bit of the dry cake mix. That will help suspend them. Also, mini chips might do better for you.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 5

I add a small box of instant pudding mix if I'm going to put chocolate chips in the cake, it helps them suspend too.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 5

I've never had any luck with choc. chips, either, and I've tried all the tricks people have suggested. The only thing that I found that works at all is to use very finely chopped chocolate, instead of chips or even mini-chips. They stay suspended a little better, but then there's such a tiny bit of chocolate in each bit.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 5

I have a killer chocolate chip cake recipe (scratch), but it is really a "coffee cake"--- that is, dense. Not the "light" cake that people consider as a layer cake. PM me if you want the recipe...

I think with the ligher non-pound, non- coffee cake style cake, your only hope is to use minis, lightly dusted in flour.
Rita

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%