Have You Ever Fallen?

Decorating By flourjuice Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 6:36am by kelleyincolorado

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:16am
post #31 of 42

I fall regularly. I'm just a klutz! My worst one was a couple of summers ago, when I fell in Walmart. My high heel got caught in a hole in their floor at the entrance, right where the greeter stands. I was on my face before I could even put my hands up to stop myself.....and my skirt was up over my back. That had to be the day I was wearing nude sheer-to-waist hose and NO PANTIES!!!!!! I fell so hard that my new Enzo slingbacks ripped, so my boss (thankfully he was waiting in the car) called Walmart, pretended to be my husband, and wanted to get them to pay for my shoes. He was ranting and raving to the manager, and said that they cared so little that the greeter didn't even bother to stand up and see how I was. HE WAS IN A WHEELCHAIR! How embarrassing.

No cake related falls, though.

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 10:52pm
post #32 of 42

Please forgive my fellow CCers,

this is a long one.

My side is hurting from laughing at these stories. Thank goodness no one or no cake was really injured. I am myself a chronic faller, but thankfully not yet with a cake. Knock on Wood!!!! I could keep you all day with all of my slip & fall stories, but the most recent one took place in the house I moved into on in February of this year. Well it was one of those mornings when I decided to pretend to be sick & call in for work. Well, I made my fake sick call (coughing & sniffling included) & went to go let the dog out & OH LORD!!! Down I went. I somehow managed left my left leg get out from under me. Down I went HARD. The back of my head hit the stairs 1st & butt to follow right after. I tried to stop the fall and grabbed at the rail with my left hand & that's when the fun began. Can you say partial rotator cuff tear? OUCH!!! I proceeded to slid on my left side down & around a spiral staircase to the bottom. Thank god I didn't get my legs caught in the bars or this whole story may not have ended so well. All I could think all the way down was oh lord!!! Please don't let my legs get caught. I was black & blue for weeks & had a headache for days & actually thought I broke my tailbone. I have had my fair share of falls & this was by far the worse. Every time I lift a heavy cake I get a little nervous, because my left arm will never be the same. It's funny now, but when I was trying to pick myself up on the floor after my son found me sprawled out with my nightgown almost up over my head it was not funny then. I cried like a baby. All I can say is be careful people & do whatever you must to protect those cakes.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:13pm
post #33 of 42

Oh ya..... I was able to fix it, but like you said, I saw it fall in slow motion. It was a grad cake for after a church service. The pressure was on, went home, shaking all the way, whipped it together and was back in time. Whewwwww, not fun!!!

I feel your pain.... only decorators know that....

Jen icon_smile.gif

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 5:57pm
post #34 of 42

oh how klutzy am i?! i've had my share of falls, bangs, stupidity, you name it! my worst fall isn't cake related. i was carrying my twin boys downstairs after they had woken up, i tripped and fell, landing on my elbow, so the babies wouldn't get hurt. i landed on my butt and slid down the stairs, knocking down our gate at the bottom. i thought i broke my arm - turns out it was just a really bad sprain. but i do have some cakes in my gallery that i had to make with a sprained elbow.

one time, i tripped down the stairs at home and sprained my ankle, i had to scoot myself on my butt to the kitchen to call my husband to tell him i had fallen.

the other day, i went to go upstairs to use the bathroom, stupid me didn't turn any lights on and our bathroom door is dark brown, i walked square into the door, smacked my face on it, then yelled at my son for closing the door! lol

my only cake-related incident (thus far) was me dropping a frosted cake upside down onto the kitchen floor. i was smart enough that time to have made two of the exact same cakes (an extra one) and was able to use that instead.

glad to hear no one was seriously injured in their falls. take it easy, everyone!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 10:04pm
post #35 of 42

okay, just had to say I was letting my dog in the other night (2 nights ago) and slipped and fell.......and oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh do I hurt right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 How can just falling flat on your back/butt/head hurt sooooooooo much?? Amazing.

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:16am
post #36 of 42

Ok Thankfully none cake related...yet!! I'm sure the time will come.

When I was 13 I tried to jump over the chain they put in between register isles when they are closed. Well I went up with both feet and came down with both feet hooked on the chain. Broke my jaw and ended up having it wired shut for 12 weeks. My teachers thought I would talk less...WRONG!

2 years ago I was on break in the backroom at work (i'm an assistant manager at Starbucks) next thing I know one of the girls and my husband are standing above me asking if i'm ok. Apparently I got up and passsed out hitting my head on a metal shelf and took a dive into the trash that hadn't been taken out yet.

The following week, i'm walking toward the front of the store and trip over a ragged edged matt for like the 80th time and down I go in front of everyone!! People didn't know if they should laugh or panic! I wake up the next morning in so much pain I can't even move. So off to the ER and find out I have fractured my neck and have severly damaged c3-c7 in my neck! When I fall I REALLY fall I guess! So here it is 1 1/2 years later and i'm still at home recovering and dealing with horrible headaches from it too. Not to mention one of the doctors had me one major pain meds...ok major narcotics, (and I didn't even realize it) these combined with some other meds and the head injury from the fall and now my memory is shot! It just comes & goes as it pleases. It's very interesting at my house sometimes, especially when I forget to pick my 16 yr old up from school icon_lol.gif He just calls now and says "Hey Mom remember me?" He gets his license in March though!
Brings new meaning to having to make lists to remember things icon_razz.gif

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:29am
post #37 of 42

Michelle, I have to tell you every time I read your story I crack up laughing!! Especially when you start it with " I fall regularly"...LOL Your Too funny!!

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 12:47am
post #38 of 42

I am so happy for you that the cake was mostly ok. To fall in front of the customer is embarressing. Sorry you went through this.

loneleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loneleaf Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 1:46pm
post #39 of 42

Oh well, im new here and i just have started with cakes and cookies not so long. Havent come across any accidents like this, that would be really really bad 'cause all your effort will end up in nothing. Oh yeah and to fall in front of the customers is even worse. I dont know if i should say "wow that was funny!!!" or "i sympathize with you" :-/. Maybe both... icon_smile.gif

clairific Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clairific Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:07am
post #40 of 42

My fall didn't involve a cake, but it is so embarassing. I was taking a coworker to Costco. We were walking to my car and I fell. My dress came up above my butt, and I wasn't wearing panties because I had nylons on. Sadly though, I had just taken the nylons off because there was a huge run in them. And he was a male coworker. It was so humiliating!

RIC-Girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RIC-Girl Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:06am
post #41 of 42

These stories are too funny...I am a self proclaimed klutz as well. I fall regularly up stairs vs. down them, not sure if it's any better one way or the other.

A few years ago I went to dinner with my family. As we were leaving the restaurant in the parking lot, I stepped on a rock incorrectly and twisted my ankle, actually breaking my foot...all in front of my family. After that I was on crutches and decided to go to Target that day. It was raining and I had a skirt on. As soon as I hit the tile floor the crutches went out, I went down and my rear was on public display. haha!

Numerous times I've had the toe of my heel get caught in the cuff of my pants as I'm going up the stairs and I went flying. Fortunately, the worst was the broken foot, so far. icon_lol.gif

kelleyincolorado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyincolorado Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:36am
post #42 of 42

I fell going up a flight of stone steps while delivering a wedding and groom's cake. The grooms' cake was destroyed. I told the staff, called the bride, etc... they didn't believe me and thought I just didn't bother to make it. That was fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%