No More Broken Teeth!!!!

Decorating By sweetisome Updated 27 Nov 2008 , 1:50am by Narie

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 13

I want to make decorated chrismas cookies that won't be so hard as to break the little teeth for whom they're intended. I know that RI is traditionally used for it's drying proporties, but is there some other kind of icing that crusts as thoroughly as RI without being quite so hard?

12 replies
sweetisome Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 13

***bump***

debbed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbed Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 13

I use royal icing but I add a teaspoon of glycerine to the icing and it still dries nicely but is soft enough to eat without breaking your teeth. Hope that helps.

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 13

Here is a link to a thread that is along the same lines as you are asking. Hope this helps. Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6169956.html#6169956

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 13

Toba's Glace
Antonia's royal

both recipes are on CC, toba's takes longer to dry but you get the same look as RI and it tastes great! I use Antonia's royal on all my cookies and I love it. It is not rock hard and tastes good. HTH

crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 13

Toba's Glacee!! Its wonderful. Dries hard enough to stack but soft enough to bite into and have a nice consistency. It takes about 24 hrs. to dry.

You will love it!

sweetisome Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks for the replies....I'm going to TRY to make Christ-moose cookies. I'll post when done. I'm kinda excited for this one icon_biggrin.gif

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 13

I use fondant to decorate my cookies. It stays nice & soft. It's also nice because you can just roll it out & cut the shape with your cookie cutter, then add the details.

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 13

Just wanted to second the Toba's Glace'! I have also used fondant!

Have fun!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 13

I've also used Toba's glase, and it looks awesome it just take a little longer to dry. I'v also used MMF and I like it too.
Good luck!

sweetisome Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 13

I can't find Toba's glace anywhere...help!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 12:30am
post #12 of 13

It's in the recipe section! http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2119-Toba-Garretts-Glace-Icing.html

I used it on gingerbread cookies last year, it was fantastic.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:50am
post #13 of 13

For those who want perfect cookies, please ignore my suggestions. I use a real butter and cream frosting on Christmas cookies. They are rough coated but Santa is all red but he always get a white beard, boot top and pon-pom - the star tip works well for that. Stars get yellow frosting and sprinkles. The bells are blue with a white frosting ribbon; green trees with a star and sprinkles, green holly with 3 red hots for berries, etc. All very home made looking and and kid friendly.

I do like the scalloped cookies I make, they have a smear of white frosting for background and a poinsetta (a circle of five red leaves, then 3 green leaves and yellow dots in the center) those really smarten the platter. Buttercream cookies may not look perfect, but they are really good to eat- if you have little ones helping, dump the excess sprinkles off when they aren't looking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%