Sift Then Measure? Or Measure Then Sift?

Decorating By cakemommy75002 Updated 21 Nov 2008 , 5:07pm by Trixyinaz

cakemommy75002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy75002 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, I have such a difficult time with royal icing, but I have about a dozen occasions I need to bake for this season, and cookies make up so much faster than cakes. The Wilton recipe for royal icing calls for:

4 c. powdered sugar (sifted)
3 T. merengue powder
6 T. Water

I use a stand mixer and only used 5T water instead of the 6 called for. It says to beat it for 7-10 minuted until stiff peaks form. I beat it for at least 20 minutes and still my peaks were soft. I kept adding more and more powdered sugar until it finally stiffened up.

I had sifted my powdered sugar first before I measured it. Should I have measured first then sifted?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, I always measure and sift whether its powdered sugar or flour. icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 8

The way you have written it, that would mean to measure, then sift. If it were to say "4 cups sifted PS, you would sift first, then measure.

This is why professional weigh everything. Sifted, unsifted, packed, loose... you get more accurate, consistent results by weight than by volume.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 8

Hi...I always sift then measure. Have you tried Antonia74's Royal Icing? I finally did and like so much better then Wiltons, my sister said it was better on the cookies.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-Antonia74-Royal-Icing.html

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 8

The way the recipe is written you sift after you measure. Ditton on Antonia74's icing.
Cathy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 8

Ditto Pink, I weigh everything. The only thing I sift at all is cocoa because this bag of cocoa is lumpy. The last bag wasn't. :sigh:

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 8

You have to pay attention to how the recipe is written because 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar or flour (sifted first, then measured.) is different than 1 cup of powdered sugar or flour, sifted (measured first, then sifted). If you sift first, you'll have more air in the powdered sugar or flour so watch how the recipe is written.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 8

I would like to start weighing my ingredients. If your recipe uses measurements, do you just measure then weigh so that you can modify your recipe and uses weights from then on out?

Just curios.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%