What Decorations Can I Put On A Whipped Cream Icing? Help!

Decorating By sweetcakesva Updated 21 Nov 2008 , 3:37pm by Splashy

sweetcakesva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesva Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:22am
post #1 of 6

can I put fondant decorations against a whipped cream or cool whip based icing? What about on a buttercream type icing? I dont want to ruin my pretty fondant decorations! Thanks

5 replies
firehorse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firehorse Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:02am
post #2 of 6

Wish I could help, but I'm actually looking for the answer to this question myself. I see lots of BC cakes here with "fondant accents" but I don't know how they are attached. Plus I had been told RI wouldn't go onto BC but there are lots of snowflake cakes that seem to have that. Very confusing.....

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:55am
post #3 of 6

I just did a whipped icing heart cake I put 2 real roses and some sugared strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries leaves, and cluster of ribbon.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 9:50am
post #4 of 6

I made a whipped icing cake and put royal flowers on it. They are lightweight and hold onto the whipped icing well.

Just a suggestion. icon_wink.gif

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 10:31am
post #5 of 6

hi all.. sweetcakes, from what research i've done, i understand that the high water ratio in whipping cream make it unsuitable for fondant decorations. As such, it is not advisable to add fondant decorations to whipped cream icing as the fondant will absorb the water. As for buttercream frosting, for thicker pieces of fondant, it should be fine, but for thinner pieces of fondant, over time the buttercream might "eat" into the fondant decorations as well. However, that said, i do use the crusting buttercream frosting recipe here and cover it with fondant, and have not encountered any problems so far icon_smile.gif I hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

Splashy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Splashy Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 6

I am thinking of doing a cake with real flowers, too. Where do you buy them? I am concerned that any pesticides might leach into a whipped cream or ganache frosting.

Thanks for any advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%