Ribbon Around Cake Board

Decorating By aundrea Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 6:22am by ladyonzlake

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:31am
post #1 of 9

i want to add ribbon around my cake board that will be covered in fondant.
my question is:
do i put the ribbon over the fondant OR do i only cover with fondant to the edge of the board then add the ribbon.
thanks in advance!
darlene

8 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:50am
post #2 of 9

If I were doing it, I would probably trim the fondant to the edge of the board and do the ribbon around the edge of the board - no fondant underneath it.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:50am
post #3 of 9

both techniques will work...however, i cover the edges of my cakeboards with masking tape, cover only the top of my board with fondant and then wrap the edges with ribbon

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:51am
post #4 of 9

Hi Aundrea, I have done it both ways. I personally think it looks better to roll the fondant over the sides. That way, there are no "ribbon & fondant seams" to match up

Good luck!
Lisa

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:07am
post #5 of 9

ok thanks for the quick replies. it will be awhile before i will be on that step. im working on this cake all evening. probably until sun up!
i will let you know how it works out for me.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 9

i edge all my fondant coered boards with ribbon that sets of the colour them of the cake. i trim fondant to edge of board then glue the ribbon around the edge i buy 6ml ribbon which is perfect for my cake board thickness and fondant thickness that way i don't need to trim excess ribbon

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:09am
post #7 of 9

What do you attach the ribbon with? How does it stick?

Shazzicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzicakes Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:18am
post #8 of 9

Glue stick - the kind they use at school. Its non toxic, so no problem. I cover with fondant to the edge, and ribbon on the side - roll you roller over fondant again, so no seam shows.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:22am
post #9 of 9

I put ribbon on all of my cake bases. I bring the fondant just to the edge (not down on the edge) and then hot glue my ribbon to the edge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%