Amish Sugar Cookies

Baking By s_barnes76 Updated 28 Nov 2008 , 5:53pm by TracyLH

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 12:59am
post #1 of 11

Has anyone ever made the Amish sugar cookies on the back of C&H PS? I've never used a sugar cookie recipe with oil, and this one calls for one cup. Just wondering what they might taste like.

10 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:45am
post #2 of 11

I haven't seen that recipe, but here is the one I use:

1 cup butter
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. soda
4 cups flour
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 375. Thoroughly cream oil, butter and both sugars. Add vanilla and eggs. Sift dry ingredients. Stir in and blend.
Roll tsp of dough in a ball, roll in granulated sugar, press down on lightly greasede cookie sheet. Bake about 12 minutes. Easier to work if chilled first.

We have about 3 versions of this in our church cookbook, all have oil.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 11

I haven't seen that exact one, but make one very similiar to the pp recipe and they are the best cookie jar type cookie I ever tasted!

It is a very melt in your mouth cookie with great flavor. They look great also
LL

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:25am
post #4 of 11

Thanks for your replies, I didn't realize there had been any response to my post. I decided against making them since it was for a bake sale (not a good time to try something new, I guess). Maybe we will do them this week icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:32am
post #5 of 11

Okay, I am glad to see this thread! Here is my question, what brand/type of oil are you using? I just made a recipe really similar to this a few days ago and couldn't remember the type of oil I used and guessed incorrectly (I used Wesson Vegetable Oil and they had zippo flavor compared to how they have been before.). So... what type of oil do you recommend? Alas, I blew it!

cookiemookie Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 2:01am
post #6 of 11

I believe I used canola oil, Wesson also.

It's the vanilla that gives them their flavor and the butter. I only use Penzey double strength vanilla in all my cookies.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 11:27am
post #7 of 11

can you describe the texture? is it any at all like the NFSC? Can you decorate on it? Thanks!

TracyLH Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 11

Cookiemookie - You are awesome! I use Wesson and couldn't remember if it was the canola or the vegetable and guessed incorrectly. Thanks for the thumbs up on the Penzey's too! Do you use the regular amount or half as it is double strength?

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 11

The ones I make, from the recipe posted above, are very soft and light. They are not at all like sugar cookies for decorating. They would not stand up to that at all.
Linda

cookiemookie Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 11

I use the same amount called for.

Unfortunately this is not a cookie for icing. I've used colored sugars to dress them up a bit.

TracyLH Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks cookiemookie! Those must be incredibly delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%