Need Ideas And Suggestions For Cookie Icing

Baking By Mickeebabe Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 8:36pm by Mickeebabe

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 12:40am
post #1 of 16

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for cookie icing. I've used fondant on my cookies and they seem to be a hit but I'm not thrilled with the taste. I know a lot of people use Royal Icing on their cookies but I'm afraid it'll be too hard.

So what do you use that looks good and tastes good too?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll be using the NFSC recipe for my cookies (that's my favorite)

Thanks

Kimberly

15 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 1:26am
post #2 of 16

Rolled buttercream!

Mickeebabe Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:39am
post #3 of 16

Thank you. Any hints or suggestions for the Rolled Buttercream since I've never used it before? Do I use the recipe on this site? Where do you buy the lemon and orange oi?

Anybody else have a favorite?

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 6:38am
post #5 of 16

This is the cookie icing I really like. The Crisco in it keeps it from getting hard, even after a week but it dries enough that you can stack the cookies without them sticking together. It is very tasty and easy to work with.

Cutout Cookie Icing

3 egg whites, at room temp.
Whip 2 min., fast speed or until stiff.
Add:
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar
Mix.
Add:
2 TBS. Crisco
Mix on low speed until smooth.
(if you want to make a glaze from this, just add a little hot water.)

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 6:44am
post #6 of 16

I have done rbc and liked it very much. I did the christmas stocking mice in my pics with it. It's harder to work with than fondant. I found the best way to work with it takes some time but it's worth it. I follow pretty much the directions that Antonia has for doing cookies. There is a tutorial on here somewhere. Refrig if you need to before you roll it. Not too much though. I rolled it on silicone mats (to the thinness you want)and covered with saran. I use guides so my rolling is uniform. Cut out your shapes and then don't try to remove them. Put sheet pan back in freezer for just a little bit. Roll out another and by the time you are done with that one you can swap them out. Try to time it so you place the cooled cutout of rbc on a warm (not hot) cookie. I used the recipe from here.

I have not had luck with Toba's. I have to experiment with it more. For me it was so runny and messy. Difficult to have neat lines. I have to add a lot more sugar I guess. I used to use Wilton RI. It gets hard as a rock and looks nice. If you don't want it that hard, I just tried for the first time and LOVED Antonia's icing. It's on here too.

RBC is much more fragile than fondant IMHO. I think it's worth it though. Tastes much better and even with the extra steps I did (above), I think it was fairly easy and was happy with the result.

BTW... Be sure you get the Lorann Oil oils and not the Loran flavorings. I don't care for the flavorings and feel you have to use a lot of it. IMHO Lots of places to buy it. Online if nothing else... I just got some from an E-Bay store but have gotten from cake supply places.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeebabe

Thank you. Any hints or suggestions for the Rolled Buttercream since I've never used it before? Do I use the recipe on this site? Where do you buy the lemon and orange oi?

Anybody else have a favorite?

I use the recipe from here, but I just leave out the oils and add a little extra flavoring. Also for the popcorn salt, use regular salt or you can put it in a pestal & mortal and break it down more if you have one. If not regualr salts works or you can leave that out too. Good Luck

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 16

Mickeebabe: RBC will be a hit because of the taste since you're used to fondant. Jopalis is right, into the freezer for a bit, and if your cookies aren't warm, a little corn syrup for glue will do the trick. for me, getting it thin is important. I don't put the oils in, just use extracts to flavor (like use strawberry for pink icing, coconut for beach theme, or I use almond a lot, and always use vanilla). I do have to use more PS than it calls for as I'm kneading it. Just seems greasy to me.

Toba's Glace is wonderful, people love the taste. I just add PS until I get the consistency, and into squeeze bottles, and away we go! I do get hollow dots and writing with it, though. Be sure to use white-white or bright-white (don't know which one is wilton's), or it will be very blotchy, even though you color it with other colors, still use the white on the entire batch.

Antonia's RI is wonderful. I fell in love with toba's glace after I was using another RI recipe, then tried Antonia's and it's great, much different than what I was using. no hollow dots and writing.

I also use Wilton's spray color. For people like my mom who don't like things too sweet, I spray color the cookie, then detail with RI or TG.
Shiney

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

This is the cookie icing I really like. The Crisco in it keeps it from getting hard, even after a week but it dries enough that you can stack the cookies without them sticking together. It is very tasty and easy to work with.

Cutout Cookie Icing

Add:
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar
Mix.
Add:
2 TBS. Crisco

Don't you have to worry about raw egg whites? I'm struggling with ideas this year. My kids are in classes with other kids who have severe peanut, nut and dairy allergies. I do understand, but it gets very frustrating. My oldest daughter has an auto immune disease and she is allergic to everything.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 16

Last Christmas, I used rolled buttercream to cover snowflake shortbreads. Unfortunately, I never got to take a picture. They were very tasty and very beautiful. I do not like using royal icing, because it dries much to hard. Another baker told me to add a couple of teaspoons of corn starch or honey to the royal icing to keep it from drying too hard. I imagine the honey would change the taste. On the cookies below, I used crusting Dream Whip buttercream. It dries hard enough after a day to package and stack. When you bite into it, it's crusted on the outside and soft inside.
LL
LL

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:57pm
post #11 of 16

Love Toba's glace!! easy to work with and beautiful shiny finish! ( I use 3 cups conf. sugar, 3 Tbsp water, 3 Tbsp corn syrup) I thicken a little for details

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:03pm
post #12 of 16

When you guys make Antonia's RI, how much ps do you use. I'm assuming it's about 9 cups, but I'm not sure. Do you sift the ps before you measure it or after you measure it?

Sorry to hijack your thread icon_redface.gif

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:13pm
post #13 of 16

Nickshalfpin, see this link, I used about 8 cups and it was too fluffy.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-609950.html

Darla925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darla925 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:49pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

Cutout Cookie Icing

Add:
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar
Mix.
Add:
2 TBS. Crisco

Don't you have to worry about raw egg whites? I'm struggling with ideas this year. My kids are in classes with other kids who have severe peanut, nut and dairy allergies. I do understand, but it gets very frustrating. My oldest daughter has an auto immune disease and she is allergic to everything.

I know that when I made Swiss meringue buttercream I did have to pasturize the eggs to make them safe. That involved heating them to 140 degrees before using them in the recipe. I suppose you can do that as well with royal icing. I dont know if that will affect the final outcome as far as how hard the icing dries. Maybe some one else can answer that question???

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:46pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks shiney. I was woried about that. I'm praying that it comes out right. It stresses me out just thinking about it icon_lol.gif

Mickeebabe Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 8:36pm
post #16 of 16

Hi

Is this the recipe you use for your RBC?

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-0-Rolled-Buttercream-Fondant-Alternative.html

How long did you put it in the freezer before applying them to the cookies? Once the RBC is on the cookies, then what do you suggest to use to make the extras like lines and eyes or whatever detail you want?

Thanks so much for your help. I've never worked with this before and I want to use it on my cookies for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

I have done rbc and liked it very much. I did the christmas stocking mice in my pics with it. It's harder to work with than fondant. I found the best way to work with it takes some time but it's worth it. I follow pretty much the directions that Antonia has for doing cookies. There is a tutorial on here somewhere. Refrig if you need to before you roll it. Not too much though. I rolled it on silicone mats (to the thinness you want)and covered with saran. I use guides so my rolling is uniform. Cut out your shapes and then don't try to remove them. Put sheet pan back in freezer for just a little bit. Roll out another and by the time you are done with that one you can swap them out. Try to time it so you place the cooled cutout of rbc on a warm (not hot) cookie. I used the recipe from here.

I have not had luck with Toba's. I have to experiment with it more. For me it was so runny and messy. Difficult to have neat lines. I have to add a lot more sugar I guess. I used to use Wilton RI. It gets hard as a rock and looks nice. If you don't want it that hard, I just tried for the first time and LOVED Antonia's icing. It's on here too.

RBC is much more fragile than fondant IMHO. I think it's worth it though. Tastes much better and even with the extra steps I did (above), I think it was fairly easy and was happy with the result.

BTW... Be sure you get the Lorann Oil oils and not the Loran flavorings. I don't care for the flavorings and feel you have to use a lot of it. IMHO Lots of places to buy it. Online if nothing else... I just got some from an E-Bay store but have gotten from cake supply places.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%