Leah.....sps Question?

Decorating By Callyssa Updated 22 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm by Callyssa

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Leah; I'm working on a baby shower cake for tomorrow evening, and wondering about stacking it tonight. Is this something I should wait to do until tomorrow, or will it be fine?

Also, even though I had plenty of cake to begin with, by the time they've settled today I think I'll end up being about 1/2" short for the 4" pillars (even with the filling). I'm doing a ruffle around the plate anyway, should that hide that gap, or should I have my husband cut the columns down a little?

One last question; I don't need to use a plate on the bottom cake, do I? If I'm supposed to, what do you normally do to hide the gap caused by the little legs?

Thank you so much. It's my first time using SPS and I'm a nervous wreck!

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 3

The bottom tier sits on the drum or decorative board. (refer to the pictures in the tutorial.) The plate and leg assembly should be thought of as a single unit, and you don't need legs under the bottom tier.

If you're 1/2" short, I think I'd trim the legs - that will produce quite a gap.

And you can stack tonight.

If you're using fondant be sure to insert the plate and leg assembly while the fondant is still soft.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 22 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Leah. I wasn't able to view the tutorial yesterday and couldn't remember! Oh, the legs I was referring to were the little short ones on the bottom of the plate itself......

So, here's how it all went; I stacked Thurs. night for Friday's delivery, and it was, as you said, fine! I even set the little teddy bear on the tip tier with nothing underneath, and a skewer through his head and through the top cake. I was worried traveling with it that way, but it didn't budge.

I did end up leaving the legs at 4" and just filled in the gap with bc then put a really big ruffle around to cover; it worked!

So, all in all, I was very happy using SPS and will definitely be ordering more!

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%